Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PV Panama

Kelin

I bought the metal amp pack and I love the sound of the 5150 sim but has anyone else noticed how artificial harmonics have a fuzzy edge to them? Most of the amps have a nice smooth, clean kind of edge on the squeals but a couple of them are fuzzy. Has anyone else encountered this? And do you have any ideas on how to clean up the harmonics? I have sort of found a solution that has worked in different amp sims, and that is to lower the amps gain and add more overdrive pedal up front but by that point you lose a lot of the amps flavor and almost might as well just be using the overdrive by itself. Any ideas? I like the sound of the Panama but those distorted/fuzzy harmonics are a deal breaker

I think you're on the right track by lower the amp's gain. But instead of adding overdrive or distortion before the amp, try using two panama amps, which each amp having a gain of around 25. Two amps (same or different settings) also have the added benefit of using two cabs and two mics, which significantly increases the tones available for selection. If I remember correctly, in addition to being fizzy, this amp is also quite a bit louder than most others, so you'll probably have to decrease the channel volume a bit. Of course, this two amp suggestion is only if you can spare the DSP.

I think a tube screamer approach works decently...basically, hit the model harder with cleaner level than artificial...One way you can do this without a pedal is to set your input 2 = Same...This will increase the clean level in the signal chain by a good bit. For most of the models this is a bit too much and it can overdrive some FX that are in front of the model...However, I have found this to be very useful on the 5150 as I don't like how it sounds with the gain high...I think the Park 75 also benefits from this, but has the opposite problem of not enough gain potential. Most of my single amp patches the input 2 is set to Mic to null the input...But the 5150 and the Park are two models I increase the clean signal in the chain with input 2 set to same....anyway, just a thought.

Also the SLO Lead does it pretty bad. I got the harmonics sounding right with the Panama's amps gain at around 60 and the tube screamer with drive at 35 or so and output at 100. I could use a little more gain on the amp and a little less on the tube screamer or vice versa and they would stay nice. BUUUTTT.... Thats all quite a bit more distortion than I'd really like. Other amp models, and other amp sims as well, seem to get nice harmonics at much lower gain levels. I have tried the helix native plug and the 5150 doesnt have that problem anymore. The SLO lead still did a little but much less so in Helix. Almost makes me wonder if my HD500X is faulty, especially since I haven't heard this complaint much before. The 5150 lead in TH3 has the same problem though. I've watched several youtube videos of people playing on these problem amps but I just can't find anyone who uses artificial harmonics where I can tell if theirs sounds the same. I added an audio clip of the panama vs a much cleaner treadplate11 2017-01.mp3