Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reference levels anywhere?

pipelineaudio1

I notice if I use the Firehawk as an audio interface, the stock presets clip the recording LED's. In this case, I'm using it in REAPER with the ASIO driver and every stock preset I have tried goes over 0dBFS.

Is this something goofy with the driver, or am I overloading the unit which will show up at the D/A converters at the analog outputs of the Firehawk?

Ok, testing now.

0Vu/+4dBu = 0dBFS to the audio interface input over USB from the guitar input on the Firehawk, with everything set flat

This means your regular EMG pickups will clip the audio interface, with everything set flat

Referencing 

The volume called "guitar volume" IS ahead of the interface. So the question was at this point, would turning this down actually prevent clipping, or would it just control the volume the clipped audio would appear to the interface?

Turning down "guitar volume" let me keep cranking up the test tone before clipping, so, take that for what its worth

Hitting the 6 LUFS at the interface spelled out in the Helix levels thread ( 

Means hitting the guitar input at about -10dbV

Getting there with the channel volumes (such as they are) means the amp volumes will be extremely low. ALL of the stock presets I have tried blow right past the red. 

I really don't know who to believe here, but setting levels this way, I still have plenty of output on the Firehawk and I don't hear any undue noise

This means a basic no amp clean volume needs to be at 9%, this could be problematic. Does anyone recommend setting the "guitar volume" lower?

If you want to hit 6 Lufs while matching your preset levels, I suggest the free MDA test tone, set to white noise, at -31dB