eletrolegal

No sound on amplifi 150

Had the same problem. It is the power supply board in the bottom of the amp.  It is 2 power supplies in one.  One side is for the amp to the 12" speaker, and the other side goes to the amp for the 2 smaller left and right speakers.  You have to replace the whole power supply board.  Buy it at Full Compass. 

The components used in these amps are low quality. Just enough to meet the specs to make them work. This is what happens when they outsource overseas. No quality control.  If they can make it cheaper by putting in 1/10th of a penny cost, than spending a 5 cents on a component to make a board, they do it.  As long as it meets the specifications, they do not care. This is why these amps fail. Cheap parts with low tolerances.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention that it is easy to fix the Power Supply issue if the following is observed:

Take the back plate off the amp slowly, look for the wires that go from the main amp board (attached to the large heat sinks, 3 wires: black, red, and green). Look where they go to on the Power Supply PCB (5 screws takes the board out).  Behind those wires on the main white connector, there are two capacitors side by side. They look the same. If they are brown in color, that is what is blown.  This is the same crap that Yamaha uses on their systems. The capacitors are cheap and will fail eventually or sooner depending on voltage fluctuations, heat, and where you use the amp (poor voltage filtering, etc).

Rather than sending it to Line6 for repair that takes weeks or months as they say, or send it to an authorized service center that will charge you a lot, take the amp to any good local electronic repair service and tell them what I told you. They should quickly see and repair.  Replace with higher quality capacitors with better tolerances.

Your other option is to buy a new Power Supply from Full Compass and just swap it out yourself (it's not hard). Have the defective board repaired as a backup.

I have been down this road with Yamaha PA systems and amps, Line 6 powered speakers and amps many times. Always the same thing. They cheapen the components to save money.

Since they sell thousands of product, they would rather spend 1/10th of a penny than $.50 per critical component to maximize profits. As long as the cheap part works, who cares?

Any chance you know the value of the capacitors and or at what rate they should drop if at all. I feel I could change them myself and would like to give it a try. Thanks in advance