Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Electrical interference - Tap Tempo related?

rickinvirginia

I'm new to the Firehawk FX and not very knowledgeable yet, so please bear with me.  Two days ago I noticed a "ticking"  sound coming from my amp. I've used the FX with the amp many times before, but never heard this sound. I Ok, so I'm thinking it's something with that circuit. Then small Fender amp that I use occasionally for playback of backing tracks or songs started ticking and it's not connected to the FX, but it sits right next to it. did some troubleshooting (turning things on/off, unplugging possible sources, etc) but nothing made a difference. Then I started testing the switches on the FX and discovered that when Tap Tempo is depressed (Tuner function), the ticking disappears.

Has anyone had this issue before, and/or someone give me some ideas as what to do next?

Thanks for your responses, Mr. Goddard and Mr. "Metal." It was a false alarm. The reason I thought the Firehawk was the issue was the correlation with going into turner mode and the disappearance of the interference on the amp. But now I'm thinking the FH was just serving as an "antenna" for the amp. As in my first troubleshooting tests, when I unplugged the FH from the amp the interference noise disappeared, but this time I picked up the cable to the amp and it came back bigtime; I was now the antenna! So something electrical is going tick-tick-tick somewhere at > 250 beats/minute according to my tap tempo metronome. So the saga continues. I'll post whenever I find the source. Thanks for your help, guys.

Oh, my handle, RickinVirginia should  now be RickinFlorida. But when in Va, I lived in McLean and Falls Church. And in Maryland, I was on Ft Meade, Annapolis, Columbia and Crofton.

Good to hear you found what was going on.  I know cell phones are a huge issue for me, they make a bunch of random sounding clicks and pops if you put them near amp/guitar/cables.  

I am from the north VA area, grew up in Woodbridge/Dumfries area.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problems going straight into my amps (both haven't got a fx loop).

It seemd like some pulsating background noise related to fx/modulation speeds which I could not turn off even with low volumes oder deactivated fx.

I now use a full range box instead and I haven't heard the issues anymore, but even before I was able to eliminate most unwanted noises by increasing the noise gate settings.