Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poor sound using Native where am I going wrong?

perfectalibi

I'm using Helix Native on a recent iMac through Garageband. I'm using a Line 6 UX1 as my input device and monitoring through Mackie CR3's. Main use is to play along with tracks for rehearsal without plugging in my Helix floor in between rehearsals gigs etc. I also intend to start recording as soon as I can sort out this problem.  Music from Garageband or iTunes sounds fantastic out of the Mackie studio monitors but when playing the guitar through Helix Native in Garageband it sounds awful. No where near what I hear on YouTube and Helix recorded tracks by other users. Where am I going wrong as I know it can be done. Is it the UX1 or a setting in Garageband. I've adjusted the input levels etc. but all I get is an approximation of the amp sound I'm playing through be it clean or overdriven, nothing like I want to be hearing and playing! I haven't tried using my Helix Floor as an input as that defeats the purpose of what I bought Native for and I don't have any trouble at all dialling in sounds from that so it must be something really simple to correct. Any help would be really appreciated.

Triyche - It's nothing to do with gigging volume or monitors sadly but thanks for input. It really is just the sound quality.
If I drop an mp3 into Garageband and play it as a track or play a MP3 out of iTunes it sounds how you'd expect it to sound through the monitors.

If I then play along with an amp and cab or ir in Helix native it doesn't sound the same quality. Muffled, thin, not resembling a proper tone coming from an amp.

If you were to record the guitar on top of the track you honestly wouldn't want your guitar to sound the way I'm hearing it. No one would buy it :)

That goes for the presets supplied and my own programmed sounds.

I don't have any problems with the Helix floor and have run it straight to PA, 4 cable method and into guitar power amp/speaker and have been blown away by them all.

2 hours ago, perfectalibi said:

Triyche - It's nothing to do with gigging volume or monitors sadly

That's my point, when you run thru a PA or AMP you are not at the same loudness/monitoring conditions you have with GB and your CR3's

That is why I am suggesting playing thru GB and your CR3's with the Helix Hardware. Just give it a shot and see how your Helix (hardware) tones sounds thru GB and your monitors.

Long story short, you need 2 sets of tones, recording direct at lower volume and cranked thru a PA and/or amp.

The other important factor is the input signal Helix Native receives. If you craft tones with the Helix at low volumes for recording and use the Helix as you input to your DAW , Native should sound the same. If you use the UX1 it may or may not sound the same, depending on the virtual signal chain, especially regarding the impedance settings the UX1 lacks. 

Also see :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

Sorry maybe I'm not explaining myself properly and thanks for replying and trying to sort. I totally understand the difference in low level monitoring and the difference when taking the same sounds on stage, I can craft sounds to suit both no problem at all and have many years behind me with so many different pieces of equipment. The Helix is a dream come true to use and I find it so easy to get great sounds out of PA, amps etc.

To explain another way I've just plugged the helix floor into the CR3 monitors and it sounds just like I want it to sound. It sounds great. Amps sound as they should.

It's not like a guitar coming out of an real amp at volume, but as a recorded guitar coming out of an amp which is miked and coming through your studio monitors.

It's exactly as you you expect and have to adapt to when playing through this type of equipment.

The problem I have, is I bought Helix native to play through Garageband and to practice playing along to music without using the Helix Floor in between gigs and rehearsals.

My only thought is could it be the UX-1 and would I get a better sound out of another IU. My computer DAW experience is only just starting. Or is it something silly in Garageband or on the Mac. The UX1 is set for both in and out and feeds the monitors direct. As I say music sounds great out of Garageband like this but the Helix Native sound really poor and I've proved it can sound great in so many other situations..

Dunno. Not familiar with those Master Echo and Reverbs in the Track setup window (assuming they are turned down all the way) but to be sure uncheck them. Can you provide a sound file of what the recorded track sounds like? I'm especially interested in hearing how your raw guitar sounds, with all effects blocks turned off in HXN. You could compare this to what a guitar track sounds like recorded with NO plug-in in the track. 

17 hours ago, perfectalibi said:

I totally understand the difference in low level monitoring and the difference when taking the same sounds on stage

Got it!!

17 hours ago, perfectalibi said:

To explain another way I've just plugged the helix floor into the CR3 monitors and it sounds just like I want it to sound.

So use that same patch in Helix Native using the Helix Hardware as your interface and sending the dry unprocessed signal to GB with monitors still connected to the Helix.

It should sound the same, so If you still have poor quality sound then it is likely a GB setting.

If it sounds great then it is the UX1 or setting with the UX1.

I do not use GB, but maybe try unchecking the Reverb and Echo.

Also with the UX1, are you using it in conjunction with POD Farm (standalone)?

Thanks very much everyone, I'm on my way at last! The problem was my lack of experience with a computer DAW. 

Don't know why but there were lots of plug ins running. I think I might of opened up a sample project initially, deleted contents of tracks and just added Helix Native to a track rather than open up a new blank one. Who knows but not knowing my way around plug ins I certainly didn't add any.

There were plug ins running on both track and master so you can imagine what was happening and sounding like so they are all off now bar Helix.

I also changed the channel to 2 on the UX1 input window which made the sound jump out.

It sounds great now. My only question now is - would I improve sound quality by upgrading the UX1 to say a focusrite scarlett or other?

Would it have a massive difference and improve things when I start recording?

But apart from that I have a fantastic rehearsal tool without breaking my back and setting up gear all the time.

Since you're just starting out with DAW recording, I wouldn't worry about your interface now. The UX1 will do just fine for now, and you can always upgrade to something better down the road. DAWs are pretty complicated beasts, but there are tons of useful tutorials online for any specific software. Read the manuals. Re: plug-ins .... less is usually better. Start out with just the essentials. Like Helix Native!

26 minutes ago, soundog said:

Since you're just starting out with DAW recording, I wouldn't worry about your interface now. The UX1 will do just fine for now, and you can always upgrade to something better down the road. DAWs are pretty complicated beasts, but there are tons of useful tutorials online for any specific software. Read the manuals. Re: plug-ins .... less is usually better. Start out with just the essentials. Like Helix Native!

Many thanks, it sounds pretty good to me and I wish I had this many years ago.