Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

In ear

perhenning5

Hey guys. I have Q about in ear monitors. I have been using in ear all the time Live on stage, but after i start using Helix, the sound in my ear is terrible...it sound like i play through a mini mini amp with a tiny speaker, so i had to go back to monitors on stage...is there any settings on the board i have to do for this? I have no power amp on stage, just straight to the mixer. 

Without knowing more about the specifics of your in ear setup it's pretty much impossible to answer your question.  Ideally it should be nothing more than taking the inputs the boards and sending a mix back to your in ears via an Aux monitor out that feeds your in ears.  But there's lots of different ways people do it.

In one of the bands I'm in (which is a wedding/corporate event band), the band leader doesn't want amps or monitors on stage and we all use in-ear monitors. For that band, I go direct to the board with the Helix. In other band situations, I use Helix with an FRFR active speaker. I have to use separate set lists for each situation and I tweak my patches accordingly; tweak the in-ear ones using my Shure in-ears (with custom molded sleeves) in the headphone jack and the FRFR ones with the speaker at approximate gig volume. The in-ear set list sounds require little to no high or low cuts and the FRFR ones require quite a bit of that. The in-ear set list sounds like crap through the powered speaker and vice versa with the FRFR set list through in-ears, though everything sounds great in the correct application. I'll admit, I don't know what my in-ear patches sound like through the FOH (front of house), but I trust (or at least hope) that the soundman EQs those accordingly and has to use some hi and low cuts. But I'm digging what I'm hearing in my in-ears and that's what the rest of the band is hearing through theirs. I'm guessing my in-ear set list sounds pretty decent through the FOH because I've been getting applause from the audience at wedding gigs for my solos and that's pretty rare for that situation; I don't think it would happen if my sounds were sucking. It all took plenty of tweak time, but it was well worth it; I'm very happy with my tones all of the time. Hope this helps!