Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is the best Helix live preset setup

pvdm68

Hello,

For some time I am playing around which live preset setup works best now.

My setup: Helix => External PowerAmp (KOCH ATR-4502) and two Marshall Cabs. (With Mic's for the PA)
I'm still not sure if I have to build my presets WITH or WITHOUT a Helix Cab.
The standard Cabs in the Helix do not meet my expectations enough.

Please your help.

Thanks.
Greeting, Peter

I wouldn't just write off the stock Cabs - they just require a bit of work.

Jason Sadites video series has some very good tips on how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzDTr5HUM6c&t=1068s

That being said, since you are using real mic'd cabs, having a stock Cab or an IR isn't required, when all they are are representations of mic'd Cabs.

I seriously doubt you'd get any value at all from either the stock cabs or IR's in your particular setup.  You'd just be sending a modeled cabinet, modeled mic, and mic placement  which will get that much further colored by your cabinet and any real mics and mic placements you use on those cabinets.  I'm not surprised that you aren't impressed with the helix cabinet models since you're not getting anything close to an actual reproduction of what they do given your setup.

What some people do that use your kind of setup is they send one branch of their signal chain that contains a cab/IR and mic setup to the FOH, and one that doesn't have any cabs/IRs to their traditional stage cabinets.  That way they don't have to mess with mic'ing the on stage cabinet.