Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to control external pedals and amp with Helix floor?

isak531

So I've just recently started using my Helix floor in 4CM with my Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee 2525H and Marshall cab.

However there are two things I cannot figure out. How do I control my external pedals and change channels within the amp using my Helix (if at all possible?) The footswitch control changing the channel on my amp is a one sleeve 1/4" cable, theres no midi on my amp.

Also is it possible to keep my Helix connected to my PC via USB without playing the sound on my PC through my Marshall cab?

Hope someone will be willing to help me.. 

Cheers!

Windows Control Panel/Sound - set the default Playback Device to the computer's soundcard.

Connect a 1/4" TS cable (any old guitar cable should work) from the Ext Amp 1/2 jack on the back of your Helix to the Footswitch jack on your Marshall. You may have to set the TS/ST/TRS setting in Command Center.

What kind of computer are you using that doesn't have an audio out? Headphone out? You can only use the tiny little onboard speakers?

If that's really the case, you need a new computer!

You could try GLOBAL SETTINGS-INS/OUTS-USB 1/2 Destination - set it to XLR so that it's not coming out the 1/4" that you're using for the 4cm wiring.

12 hours ago, rd2rk said:

What kind of computer are you using that doesn't have an audio out? Headphone out? You can only use the tiny little onboard speakers?

If that's really the case, you need a new computer!

You could try GLOBAL SETTINGS-INS/OUTS-USB 1/2 Destination - set it to XLR so that it's not coming out the 1/4" that you're using for the 4cm wiring.

Well its a gaming PC which is not THAT old though Ive upgraded CPU etc gradually, the motherboard only has those small headphone outs kind of jack, not sure what theyre called..

Will try the global setting thing, thanks!

Using snapshots to enable/disable external pedals, is that done in the Command center? Same as the amp channel switching?

The global setting fixed the PC audio issue, thanks!

Managed to get the amp switching to work however A LOT of noise comes when I activate the lead channel... how do I fix that? Played around with the FX loops outs to instrument/line level but that didnt solve it

5 hours ago, isak531 said:

the motherboard only has those small headphone outs kind of jack, not sure what theyre called..

Yep, that's the one that you use when you do the assignment I described in my first response.

Using a small mixer (I use a Behringer Xenyx502 - $50) you can get all your levels matched nicely.

As for the noise, what kind of noise? Hum? This is a well known problem. A hum eliminator like this might help:

https://smile.amazon.com/Pyle-Eliminator-Destroyer-2-Channel-PHE300/dp/B00BARTW3I/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OT8WO6PZCMET&keywords=hum+eliminator+audio&qid=1552663606&s=electronics&sprefix=hum+%2Caps%2C172&sr=1-3-catcorr

Do a search here and on the Helix thread over at TGP (Gearpage) for "4cm hum". There could be other helpful suggestions.