Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Basic Bass Setup - playing live from Helix to PA

acdthompson

I'm new to this forum but have been using a Helix LT for about a year.

I play a Sandberg 5 string active bass into the Helix LT and then direct into a Beringer X-air mixer to the PA.

The band play funk/pop/light rock and the stage is silent (IEMs).

I put together a simple set of 4 snapshots with a basic rig of the LA compressor and Cali 400 amp, and then have clean/dirty (tube)/Octaver/Wah snapshots that switches on the blocks.

I recently bought a couple of presets from the web for bass synth and have noticed that the levels were much louder than my DIY setup.

I would like to re-visit my original patch but would benefit from advice from the forum about the basics I should observe.

There is nothing wrong with my DIY patch other than my perception that others are doing it better, and my observation that as I have never owned a bass amp I am not modelling a 'sound' with the Helix so I have nothing to compare.

For example:

• bass amp choice for a clean/funk sound
  • thoughts about the myriad settings on each amp (drive/level/master etc) - for someone who hasn't owned an amp
  • amp only vs. amp+cab (I assumed the 'cab' is now the PA, so I've gone with a clean sound like you would in a studio)
  • which compressor is good for bass guitar and and simple tips (I know there is tons on the web about compression - but Helix/bass guitar specific)
  • compressor position in chain
  • how to make gentle distortion (think 'Sex on Fire' / 'Mr Brightside' levels)
  • how to optimise the wah for the exp pedal

I would be great if the forum could help me establish a basic bass rig (that others could copy) which has the fundamentals in order.