Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

But Does It Metal

Video of a cover song (I Despise by Chimaira)  using JTV-89 in Baritone drop A (customized model of neutral body and wide range humbucker in bridge) thru IK MUltimedia Amplitube ENGL model (overdrive in preamp, compression and EQ post amp). JTV is in the Left channel, drum and bass backing track are in the right, actual mp3 from Chimaira is panned center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNC65P5s0I0

I use some dampening in the headstock and medium strings ... This is intended to sound like a "mix" .. this is what the JTV can sound like in a band setting. Actually the JTV blew away my 7 string whose lowest string got all flubby when I attempted drop A tuning and had all sorts of intonation issues. Nothing like being able to downtune to the depths of Hades and come back up for air!

JTV hands down winner in this case ... 2 minutes after this video I could switch to acoustic and sitar to finish up another tune.

• Upvote 2

Great tone. I think the JTV updates help a lot for metal tones, between the better Les Paul/humbucker modeling and the palm muting update.

That's not to say you can't get a killer metal tone out of an old Variax. I can get a nice tone with Peavey Revalver's 6505, but man that sounded crisp on your video.

I'm coming out with an original soon .. more metal .. but with the JTV on acoustic mode in the background ... I actually chose the twelvestring as that chorusy effect sounded just right.  It was a cinch .. just plugging in and recording direct. The acoustic sims might not be good enough for a folk album .. but amongst screaming humbucker guitars thru hi-gain amps ... it's just fine and I am a raw newb at recording/mixing/mastering!