jeannot18

Blues Sound

Hi there, first post on the forum.

We bought a Spider IV 15 for my son to use with his new guitar. Myself, I have been learning for the past few months on an acoustic guitar. My teacher uses an electric when I have my lessons, and when he plays blues, I really love the sounds that comes out of the amp (he obviously uses a different amp all together). I have been messing about with the amp and the guitar (again electric guitars are completely new to me), my son's guitar has only a volume and tone dial, and 3 positions for the pick up.

No matter what I have tried to setup the amp to, I am not getting a blues sound (if it makes sense), when we bought the amp, online, the salesman told me that I should not have any problem playing blues.

So my question is, what setup should i use to get that blues sound. Hope my post makes sense, I am new to this. Thank you

JC

What guitar are you using?  The type of pickups can make a real difference in sound.

What guitar are you using?  The type of pickups can make a real difference in sound.

For now it is my son's ESPLTD EX-50 BLK (James Hetfield lookalike), so i guess not a very "blues" guitar, but as I said I am a complete noob to electric guitar.

Though somebody recommended me this guitar

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid9185/cid671/squier-classic-vibe-50s-strat-in-2-tone-sunburst.asp

I will go to my local music shop and see if I can try it, but from what i have read so far the perfect guitar to play blues

Bruce thanks for the link, I will check it up

Yeah, that ESP is a heavy metal-style guitar, with pretty crappy humbucker pickups.  Still, you should be able to turn down the guitar's volume control and adjust the one to get a halfway decent tone from the amp.

I wouldn't recommend that Squier Strat from Andertons, only because it seems very pricey for a Squier.  Shop around for a used one at half the price - or better yet a used Fender Strat for that price.

For now it is my son's ESPLTD EX-50 BLK (James Hetfield lookalike), so i guess not a very "blues" guitar, but as I said I am a complete noob to electric guitar.

Though somebody recommended me this guitar

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid9185/cid671/squier-classic-vibe-50s-strat-in-2-tone-sunburst.asp

I will go to my local music shop and see if I can try it, but from what i have read so far the perfect guitar to play blues

Bruce thanks for the link, I will check it up

The Squire Classic Vibe range are excellent guitars - they are the top of the Squire range and well worth the money. An excellent entry level blues guitar.

The blues covers a wide spectrum of sounds - can you name an artist whose tone you like?

The Squire Classic Vibe range are excellent guitars - they are the top of the Squire range and well worth the money. An excellent entry level blues guitar.

The blues covers a wide spectrum of sounds - can you name an artist whose tone you like?

Thanks Timothy, I like people like Eric Clapton, Joe Bonamassa etc,

J

I agree with the last 2 posts. Squire has made improvements in the QC dept in the last few years. And epiphone les paul or dot guitar (epi's version of a 335) might be something to consider as well. I'm not familiar with the 15 watter, But I'm sure that if you crank a bit and go to some of the more classic amp settings, you can get some decent, warm blues settings.

I don't know British guitar pricing, but the Squier linked above seems high-priced to me - 301 pounds ~ $500.   The same model sells for less than $400 at Guitar Center.   Used Fender Strats can be picked up for that price as well, and used Squiers Classics for under $300.

I don't know British guitar pricing, but the Squier linked above seems high-priced to me - 301 pounds ~ $500.   The same model sells for less than $400 at Guitar Center.   Used Fender Strats can be picked up for that price as well, and used Squiers Classics for under $300.

That's rip off England for you, it is the same with most electronic stuff

J