Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3 technical questions regarding the M5

Roman_Bird_Dog

Hello all, I'm new here! I've recently acquired a Line 6 M5 and am quite happy with it. I'm experiencing difficulties with some features though, hence 3 questions:

1. When renaming a preset, is there a way to erase characters? It seems I can only overwrite on the previous title, but it's always longer than the new one which I want to put, so I have found no other solution than putting ___'s or °°°'s... It's ugly and it takes ages...

2. With the expression pedal, it seems at times I cannot asign the highest position on certain settings to the heel or toe position of the expression pedal: when the latter is connected, some settings are more limited in range than when it is not. I turn the knob to max and the setting stops at 90%. Have other people experienced that? Is there a solution to that?

3. Outside of the preset mode, is there a way to change the default settings of each kind of effect so that when I navigate through the full effect bank, the default settings for each effect are those I chose and not the factory ones?

Many thanks in advance for your input!

And sorry in advance if some of my questions have already been asked and answered (I searched a bit and didn't find the info, but you never know)...

Jean

Hi Roman:

As you can see there's not a lot of traffic around here - which is unfortunate.

1.  When renaming the preset try rotating the Model Select knob all the way to the left - counter-clockwise.  That should take to you a blank.  The downside is you have to do this for each character, but at least it will clear them out.

2.  I have the same thing with my M13 and I was wondering if it's because I'm using the cheap Line 6 pedal.  When I'm using it as a volume pedal, for example, when I'm all the way off/heel, I can still hear a really low sound coming from my amp.  Also, the sweep is not linear - the majority of the signal/volume comes nearly in the travel (maybe 1/2 way) and the rest doesn't make much of a difference.  Again, not sure if it's the M13 or the pedal

3.  Make sure your set to Autosave.  This will keep the last settings you used in each effect as well as what you had on or off.  From the manual:

Scenes

Knob 1 toggles between Autosave or Manual Save. With Autosave, every change you make to your Scene is saved, like a real pedal board. With Manual Save, changes made to your individual FX will be saved only if you don’t change Scenes; if you do recall a Scene, all your changes will be lost. Manual Save is a good choice, however, when you want to be sure your Scenes will always be recalled exactly as programmed.

Knob 4 selects Momentary Scene or Latch Scene mode. Please see Chapter 4 for more in-depth information on Momentary Scene and Latch Scene modes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kraftybob,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Sorry I didn't follow suit earlier but I'm new to this forum and I thought I would get an e-mail notification in case of reply (now I have checked the box).

1. Thanks for the character trick. Indeed a little tiresome, but at least it works. The best would definitely be if it was possible to edit the presets from a computer via USB connection.

2. As for the expression pedal problem, it's definitely not from the expression pedal, as it's obvious on the M5 screen that the software on the pedal sets the minimum as something else than the minimal setting. And in fact, for one of the settings I can't get where I want, I actually succeeded once, but I can't get it there anymore. It's a pity because the settings are not always extreme (e.g. feedback on delay effects) so if you want to get the effects a little crazy, you really need to get to that maximum. I hope someone has the solution to this problem...

3. As for the autosave mode, I've tried this before but it only worked once you are in a preset (I don't have a M9/M13 so I don't have scenes, but I think scenes are also some kind of preset). What I would like is to change the default setting of an effect, outside of preset mode.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide help

Regards,

Jean

• 4 months later...