Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp: Dual Amp Setup vs 2 cab setup

Smj7

Hi All,

I’m trying to create more or less the type of setup I’ve used live for the past few years.

Pedalboard with mono drives feeding an H9 for modulation.  The H9 goes stereo out into a Timeline, stereo out into another H9 and then stereo out into a Strymon Flint.  The Flint then goes stereo out into 2 different combos.  That way, I have mono drives and stereo reverbs, delays and modulation feeding two different (brands of) combos 

Is there a way to recreate this type of path in the Stomp on its own?  I’ve tried setting up two amps and splitting the paths, but then I’m limited in terms of how many fx/drives I can put before them.  I guess that’s the limitation of this box?

Up until now, I’ve just used a one amp two cab setup and put drives/modulations before the amp and delays/reverbs after.  Is that essentially the same thing as my regular setup?  Thanks!

Sean Meredith-Jones 

www.seanmeredithjones.com 

Well yeah, you already have a good grasp of what's going on.

Too complex a chain and that's what the full Helix is for.

One amp two separated cabs is your best bet on Stomp, but it's still block and DSP heavy.

36 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Well yeah, you already have a good grasp of what's going on.

Too complex a chain and that's what the full Helix is for.

One amp two separated cabs is your best bet on Stomp, but it's still block and DSP heavy.

Thanks... you mentioned two separates cabs... I’ve been using a dual cab on one block... is there any real difference in putting 2 cabs on two separate blocks?

Sean Meredith-Jones 

6 hours ago, Smj7 said:

Thanks... you mentioned two separates cabs... I’ve been using a dual cab on one block... is there any real difference in putting 2 cabs on two separate blocks?

Sean Meredith-Jones 

Oddly enough, yeah. Test it and tell me what you think. 

I heard someone explain that it's because the dual cabs hard pan left and right in stereo though I'm not personally sure why. It's also true you can mix and match different types of cabs if you go single.

Because of the six block limit, whenever possible I go combined amp/cab. If that don't work dual cab, but there are some times that only a separate amp and cab block will do.

Just to add another option, I have found I prefer the stereo image created by running a single amp and cab/IR, and then running all stereo modulation/delay/reverb after the cab. My current configuration goes guitar in -> Drive pedals in Helix -> Amp -> IR -> stereo modulation -> stereo delay -> stereo FX Loop out -> Strymon Big Sky -> Stereo FX Loop return -> L/R XLR out to two PowerCab+ cabinets. I don’t think Stomp has FX Loops, but if you are not needing to bring the signal back for headphone monitoring or recording then the 1/4” outputs would work and you could then run the outputs of your stereo pedals to your two monitors. This would save you some blocks as you could run an Amp+Cab block if you were so inclined. Of course if you do need to bring it all back in for those reasons, it sounds like a full Helix might be calling your name!

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I will futz around a/b’ing Dual cabs vs separate cabs.

I’m trying to keep things simple/small with the Stomp so I’m able to get what I need generally on gigs where I can’t use an amp and need a small footprint.  I show up with a guitar and a Mono tick bag! 

It it wasn’t until yesterday I started wondering if I could make a true stereo rig inside the stomp... but discovered not w/o giving some blocks up.... not even so much that but it won’t let me access various fx even if there’s an open block or two.

Perhaps at some point I’ll integrate the stomp into my board but currently there’s no room on it....:(

Sean Meredith-Jones