Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help in trying to figure a metal bands tone.

erikwt78

I've been messing around with various amps but having trouble nailing down the best one- take a listen and if you're willing, help a brother out with finding the best amp & settings for this tone:

There are actually 2 guitars playing the same thing (I've seen them play it live back in '92 or '93 and remember both guitarists playing identically) - don't think it's a chorus effect on the guitars either. Would also appreciate an idea of a 4x12 they'd be using, because THAT I have no idea and don't recall from when I saw them.

One of my favorite metal albums ever! The whole tone, mix, everything about everything just amazes me.

Not sure about the cabinets to use, but it sounds pretty heavily scooped.  Maybe try the 2204 Mod amp, with the mids cut, and that "boost" setting setting to a negative value in a mid to high frequency band.  Also, maybe add a para EQ afterwards with another mid cut, with a high Q value, somewhere in the 650-1 KHZ range?