Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FR: Tap Tempo measuring average tap speed

SaschaFranck

Title almost says it all. I always found Line 6's tap tempo to be not too comfortable to deal with (in fact, this is true for plenty of others as well, such as Zoom). Especially when playing live (which is basically what tap tempo is kinda made for...) it's easy to tap a little off tempo. The way Boss and TC (at least the G-Force) handle this is a lot more elegant as they calculate an average tempo from the last 4 taps. It also doesn't matter if you only tap twice (or three times), in that case it works as with the Helix, but in case you keep tapping, it usually gets more accurate.

Would be great to have that as well (at least as an option).

Not an ideal solution because requires extra gear but maybe there is some kind of tap tempo midi controller that could send tempo to the helix?  I agree that it should average out during however many taps from the last X seconds... thought it already did this.  I don't use tap tempo (yet).  I guess it only measures between the last two taps?

5 hours ago, Line6Nelson said:

Helix averages up to four previous taps to calculate tempo as well.

Hm. I guess I wasn't aware of that and only ever tapped twice because of my POD/M13 experiences. Pretty strange I didn't notice this, though. Will instantly check.

Just fooled around a bit more with tap tempo. It sort of seems to measure the last 4 taps - but with somewhat "glitchy" results. Sometimes the tempo is just *way* off and sometimes it works. It's at least a lot more reliable in case I only tap twice - whereas more taps and an average measuring should give you better results, which doesn't necessarily seem to be the case.