Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX as clean preamp into power amp

loydall

Hi - obviously HX FX doesn't include amps/preamps but - if I run HX FX directly into a power amp (or the effects return (power amp) of an amp head/combo) are there any pedals(blocks) you could recommend to boost/eq/drive whatever my signal so HX FX was acting as a sort of clean Preamp before a power amp?

Cheers.

Just fool around with some EQs and see how far you can get. You might want to throw in some light compression (with shorter attack values) behind them to sort of simulate the sag of a typical tube power amp.

Fwiw, I have a bunch of IRs taken from clean tube preamps and full tops. Now, as these are IRs, they won't reproduce the dynamic behaviour of the captured amps, IRs just can't do that, but they're introducing some interesting frequency responses that you won't be able to recreate with any EQ. Let me know if you'd like to try them out in the HX FX IR block and I'll post them.

14 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Just fool around with some EQs and see how far you can get. You might want to throw in some light compression (with shorter attack values) behind them to sort of simulate the sag of a typical tube power amp.

Fwiw, I have a bunch of IRs taken from clean tube preamps and full tops. Now, as these are IRs, they won't reproduce the dynamic behaviour of the captured amps, IRs just can't do that, but they're introducing some interesting frequency responses that you won't be able to recreate with any EQ. Let me know if you'd like to try them out in the HX FX IR block and I'll post them.

That would be fantastic if you could. I'd really not thought of using IRs at that stage of the chain but it sounds like it's worth trying.

Cheers.

Currently resorting my IRs, also, most of the preamp ones are still in Logics Space Designer format (converting them isn't much hassle but needs to be done...), but here's 3 kinda random captures of a Soldano SP77 preamp that I found to be useful. Even so much that I used them with my AMT Pangea to feed the return of a Laney LC50 combo on some gigs - yes, I prefered those undynamic IRs with some EQ and compression added over the Laneys preamp. So, just try them out - and if you think it's worth it, I'll happily post the rest of the bunch.

I would recommend to use at least some EQ and a tad of compression along with them

SP77_IRs.zip

19 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Currently resorting my IRs, also, most of the preamp ones are still in Logics Space Designer format (converting them isn't much hassle but needs to be done...), but here's 3 kinda random captures of a Soldano SP77 preamp that I found to be useful. Even so much that I used them with my AMT Pangea to feed the return of a Laney LC50 combo on some gigs - yes, I prefered those undynamic IRs with some EQ and compression added over the Laneys preamp. So, just try them out - and if you think it's worth it, I'll happily post the rest of the bunch.

I would recommend to use at least some EQ and a tad of compression along with them

SP77_IRs.zip

Fantastic - thanks. I'll give these a go.

Sorry for slow response - not on this board that often at the moment.

Really appreciate that - cheers.