Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit 2.82 won't install on Mac

ebodave

Hi. I'm trying to install HX Edit 2.82 on my mac, running Catalina, and I keep getting the message that it can't install because it can't scan for malicious software. I found a tip online about dragging the installer into the Applications folder. That doesn't work either. Any suggestions???

I'm not on Catalina, but sometimes it helps if you go to the security settings to allow for installing things from unknown sources. It's not unlikely that this will end in january, though (in case it works at all). After that, every developer has to talk to the godfathers at Apple and in case they don't like the software, they won't allow things to run. Dictatorship 2020.

(I basically love OSX quite a bit but I'm seriously thinking of going Windows.)

Thanks. I managed to get it to install by changing security settings. However I'm still facing the problem (which was the reason I was installing 2.82) - I can't make a connection to my LT - it's constantly "connection interrupted". I've tried the various workarounds suggested in other forums (eg changing the cable, changing USB port) to no avail. Any suggestions???

10 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

How many USB cables did you try? Unfortunately there's a whole lot of really bad ones around - and the Helix seems to be particularly picky about them as well.

Hmm. Three. Any tips on how to identify a good one??? This whole business feels a bit shoddy. Can anyone explain (in non-technical terms) what the issue is here? Is there something inherently unstable about this particular type of connection? Could Helix have designed this better? I've wasted such a lot of time already.

16 minutes ago, ebodave said:

Hmm. Three. Any tips on how to identify a good one??? This whole business feels a bit shoddy. Can anyone explain (in non-technical terms) what the issue is here? Is there something inherently unstable about this particular type of connection? Could Helix have designed this better? I've wasted such a lot of time already.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea about how to identify a proper USB cable. Fortunately, I have a whole plethora of them hanging around (they came with printers, scanners and what not, all long forgotten but I kept the cables...) and once I find a suitable one, I just put a litle bit of tape around it.

Fwiw, the Helix isn't the only device suffering from these issues, it's not exactly an unknown thing in the land of audio interfaces, but well, yes, the Helix is absolutely among the more pickier devices.

What Mac are you using, btw? I assume it has a Thunderbolt connection - so you might want to try a TB->USB adapter. In case it's TB3 already, a plain USB-C to USB type B cable might do as the TB3 port serves as a USB-C port as well. For TB2 and 1 you will need a somewhat expensive adapter cable.

39 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I wouldn't have the slightest idea about how to identify a proper USB cable. Fortunately, I have a whole plethora of them hanging around (they came with printers, scanners and what not, all long forgotten but I kept the cables...) and once I find a suitable one, I just put a litle bit of tape around it.

Fwiw, the Helix isn't the only device suffering from these issues, it's not exactly an unknown thing in the land of audio interfaces, but well, yes, the Helix is absolutely among the more pickier devices.

What Mac are you using, btw? I assume it has a Thunderbolt connection - so you might want to try a TB->USB adapter. In case it's TB3 already, a plain USB-C to USB type B cable might do as the TB3 port serves as a USB-C port as well. For TB2 and 1 you will need a somewhat expensive adapter cable.

Ooh. Mac Book Pro (2013). I've just had to look up Thunderbolt, and it appears I have two, and I think they might be TB1 or TB2. Does that sound right? If so, I might continue down the "looking for a better USB cable" route :) 

15 minutes ago, ebodave said:

Ooh. Mac Book Pro (2013). I've just had to look up Thunderbolt, and it appears I have two, and I think they might be TB1 or TB2. Does that sound right? If so, I might continue down the "looking for a better USB cable" route :) 

Seems to be TB2 - adapters/cables were pretty expensive for those, but I'm not entirely sure (TB1 adapters were horribly priced). However, it features USB 3 ports. IIRC, some folks were running into issues with those, but I don't exactly remember what the issues were and how they were solved. On paper, USB 3 ports should work just fine with USB 2 devices connected, so I wouldn't happen to know about anything else but to recommend looking for 1-2 more USB cables. Ideally, look for the shortest ones that would still be suitable. And you might want to look for some of known brands - but don't take my word on it, as it really could as well be a Catalina compatibility issue. Couldn't you just roll back to Mojave? I mean, there's not all that much kickass stuff Catalina brings to the table, unless you really want to use an iPad as a sidecar or control things through Siri.

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 5:26 PM, ebodave said:

Thanks. I managed to get it to install by changing security settings. However I'm still facing the problem (which was the reason I was installing 2.82) - I can't make a connection to my LT - it's constantly "connection interrupted". I've tried the various workarounds suggested in other forums (eg changing the cable, changing USB port) to no avail. Any suggestions???

How did you finally get it to install. I'm not finding the area to accept  it in security settings.