Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fizzy tone Spider Valve 1 100w head? Tubes?

indyj_son

Hey Friends,

So my trusty spider valve 1st gen 100 w head is my current "go to" live amp. I play it through a vintage 30 loaded 4x12 cab.

In general, I am happy with the rock tones I am getting.  However there is a bit of a tinty, mushy,  fizz I just can't seem to get rid off. No combination of presence/treble control seems to control it without making the amp sound like I am playing through a closed door.  My amp selection of choice is the blue crunch which is described as "plexi on fire" in the manual. It being higher gain I expect a bit of mush but would like it to be a bit more "distinct".  Any recommendations? External effects? Tube changes? Settings?

Thanks!

Either the tubes need replacing or the the main board needs to be serviced. Either way, it

will need to be serviced by a Line 6 authorized service center.

Use only the specified tubes and bias. These are not all analog tube amp like in the 1960's and 70's.

22 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Either the tubes need replacing or the the main board needs to be serviced. Either way, it

will need to be serviced by a Line 6 authorized service center.

Use only the specified tubes and bias. These are not all analog tube amp like in the 1960's and 70's.

Thanks for the reply. I've read your other posts about tubes. I bought this amp used. I just checked out the tubes and noticed a full JJ tubes set for both power and pre amp. It appears to be this Eurotubes Line 6 package with the 6l6GCs. https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Line-6-Spider-Valve-100HD-Standard-Retube-Kit-601p1983.htm

Are you saying this is a dangerous option and I should retube with the stock tubes you have previous mentioned? If so do they all need to be replaced or just the power quad?

From the tube post,...

Tube choices to use,...

Spider Valve:

12AX7B China for pre-amps.

5881WXT Sovtek (matched pair), with the base cup bottom.

5881WXT Sovtek (matched quartet), with the base cup bottom for the HD-100 and HD100 MkII.

Low microphonic 12AX7EH for the pre-amp is fine.

Power amp tube choices are crucial, and must be properly biased by a tech or Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product.

Don't do this yourself, the shock hazard is too great,... and it hurts when you get electric shock. Leave it to a tech trained who is for this.

These valve amps are particular about tubes and tube brands. Do Not use substitutes, No Mesa, Groove Tube, Tung-Sol, Ruby's or JJ substitutes. No hot rodding of an already Bogner hot rod.

Yes, the quad set, they have to be a matched set. The analog and digital sections have to talk nice to one

another, so the specified power tubes must be used, and have to be Also the specified pre-amp tubes are a good idea.

Love the other afore mentioned tubes,... just not in this amp.

Have this work done by a Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product. These are not all analog tube

amp like in the 1960's and 70's, and have to be treated a little different.

23 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Yes, the quad set, they have to be a matched set. The analog and digital sections have to talk nice to one

another, so the specified power tubes must be used, and have to be Also the specified pre-amp tubes are a good idea.

Love the other afore mentioned tubes,... just not in this amp.

Have this work done by a Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product. These are not all analog tube

amp like in the 1960's and 70's, and have to be treated a little different.

OK thanks, one last question. I have a matched pair of Sovtek 12AX7-LPS tubes I have not used. With they be OK for the preamp? Do you have any experience with them?