Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD 500 and Electribe Grooveboxes

Kukuruza

Hi everyone

Here is the idea that I have: I have Korg ESX sampler and I want to control it via MIDI on POD 500.

I want to assign one footswitch of the POD so that it would Start/Stop the playback of the ESX when I need it.

The problem is that I can't figure out the POD MIDI settings for the Play button on the ESX. I was able to control some parameters 

on the ESX via POD 500, but couldn't find out which settings I need for Play (Start/Stop) button

Can somebody please help me with this?

Thanks in advance

I never used the Korg ESX device, however trying to do a quick search I found its MIDI implementation data --> http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/MIDIImp/ESX.pdf , where at page 2 chapter 2.RECOGNIZED RECEIVE DATA is written:

2-2 SYSTEM REALTIME MESSAGES
+--------+---------------------------------------------+
| Status |                Description                  |
|   [H]  |                                             |
|   F8   | Timing Clock                              * |
|   FA   | Start                                     * |
|   FB   | Continue                                  * |
|   FC   | Stop                                      * |
|   FE   | Active Sensing                              |
* :This message is recognized when the "Clock" is set to "EXT" or "Auto".

The given MIDI commands numbers are given in HEX format, which can be easily converted by using an online converter like the following: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/math/hex-to-decimal.php

So the needed commands converted to decimal format seem to be:

Start = 250

Continue = 251

Stop = 252

which MIDI commands seem to be recognized only when the device "Clock" is set to "EXT" or "Auto"

Try the above values and settings, and let me know if it works.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

20 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Start = 250

Continue = 251

Stop = 252

Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!

Could you please clarify - how can I set PODs paramenters to 250-252 values??

All MIDI parameters of the POD are 0-127.

Sorry for being so MIDI stupid, need your help

I can control ESX already, switch patterns via POD, but just can't find correct settings for Start/Stop button

1 hour ago, Kukuruza said:

Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!

Could you please clarify - how can I set PODs paramenters to 250-252 values??

All MIDI parameters of the POD are 0-127.

Sorry for being so MIDI stupid, need your help

I can control ESX already, switch patterns via POD, but just can't find correct settings for Start/Stop button

Hi Kukuruza, I've been the MIDI stupid (not you), I'm sorry if I accidentally fueled the hope that it is possible to control the start/stop functions of your sequencer remotely from the POD.

I realized now that your device for those functions does not require standard MIDI control changes or program changes (which however never go beyond the value 127) but instead SYSTEM REALTIME MESSAGES which the POD is absolutely unable to transmit.

Here you can find a post/thread about what I said in regard to your device:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/midi-switch-controler-for-electribe-management.1862266/#post-24793695

Forgive me for wasting your time.

Good luck!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

31 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

accidentally fueled the hope that it is possible

Well, yeah, you did)))

Ok, anyway, many thanks to you.

You have saved a lot my time so there is no need to look for an answer) 

Now I think that I need to buy a separate device with a footswich to send SYSEX commands...

Do you have any thoughts on cheap and simple devices?

1 hour ago, Kukuruza said:

Now I think that I need to buy a separate device with a footswich to send SYSEX commands...

Do you have any thoughts on cheap and simple devices?

Probably a sort of CC to Sysex translator/mapper placed between the POD (still using its footswitches to send MIDI commands) and your sampler could be the answer, like the following:

evp.jpg

"The Event Processor can map MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events to other MIDI events, filter MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events, trigger MIDI events, toggle between MIDI events, sequence through MIDI events, scale or crossfade MIDI messages, transpose notes, scale velocities, map to and from System Exclusive, NRPN, Bank Select messages"

---->> MIDI Solutions Event Processor

price new $ 149

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips