Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pitch Shifter sounds out of tune with chords

leovinus

When I play something like Radiohead's "My Iron Lung" with the pitch shifter, it sounds horribly out of tune on the arpeggiated notes that I let ring. So essentially the first note of any chord voicing sounds fine, but the other notes sound out of tune and warbly. Is there any fix for this?

The pitch shifter isn’t polyphonic so it can’t handle more than one note at a time. Ironically, part of the iconic sound of My Iron Lung is due to the fact that the pitch shifter he’s using is glitching out and not tracking perfectly.

Polyphony is not the issue, it is that the pitch interval is fixed.  So if you have it set for a major third (4 half-steps), and play the arpeggiated notes of an A major chord (A, C#, E), you will get C#, F, G# - which is a C# major chord, but not in the key of A, obviously.  Ideally, you would want the 2nd note to be an E (3 half steps) and the 3rd note to be an A (5 half steps) so that it all sounds as the same chord (A major).