Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ, AES cable, PC+

GrampaBob

Hi I'm trying to figure out what's up.  I'm currently using 1/4 cable between helix and PC+ and only using the flat setting on the PC+.  I have my global EQ's rolled off a bit on the lows and highs and my sound is nice, no issues among all my presets and I suit the global EQ to each room I play.  I would now like to take advantage of actually using my PC+ for it's purpose and why I bought it and hookup my AES cable so the helix can change the speakers in the PC+ as per patch moving forward after I start choosing speakers.

The issue now is the Global EQ is disabled using digital and all my presets are all shrill and off now.....I guess I'm wondering why they have it setup you can't use digital to choose speakers in the PC+ and still have global EQ.  As a newbie, its weird.

I can't really address the global EQ on the digital thing, but there are a couple of things it might be worth clarifying on Global EQ in general that might put things in perspective.

It looks like you're trying to use Global EQ for what it's (ideally) designed for, but in my experience over the last four years I've never once needed to use it.  Instead I incorporate a final parametric EQ to specifically address what's needed in each patch.  As far as global EQ corrections, that's something that far better corrected at the mixing board using tools such as a Real Time Analyzer (RTA) since room acoustic corrections apply equally across all instruments and voices, not just the guitar.  Without tools like that you're just guessing anyway and you may be getting in the way of an accurate global correction at the mixer.  Something to consider.

Unfortunately, the Global EQ can be assigned to the 1/4" and/or XLR outputs only. Because of Helix's flexible routing, Global EQ would have to be separate for every single pair of outputs, and to maintain DSP usage between Floor, Rack, and LT, we needed the exact same number of Global EQ instances—in this case, two.

Fortunately, an EQ > Parametric block has the same parameters as the Global EQ and can be copied and then pasted into any preset.