Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Never Owned a MultiFX unit before

Skhar

Hey guys, I've never owned a modelling unit before, but will be getting the pod go this Friday and I'm excited.

Now because I have zero experience with this stuff and the only amp I've ever owned is a Katana I am a little lost. I've watched the quick start videos and am currently reading through the manual and they are helping a lot. I'm sure I'm just going to have to sit with the Pod and play around with it to get the best out of it.

But I was hoping you guys could give me little pieces of advice on literally ANYTHING for the world of modelling amps. Assume I have 0 knowledge (Just learned what FRFR speakers are, still confused about what IR is etc.) haha.

Thanks

If you have previously been playing and listening to your guitar through a traditional guitar amp you should expect to hear a difference. You are used to listening to an amp in the room with you. A modeller like the POD Go is designed to create the sound in a recording or control room  - from placing a microphone in front of an amp that sits in a different room, and listening to the mic’d sound through PA speakers or studio monitors.

Like you say you should just start learning and playing. You will be able to ask more specific questions to improve your skills and understanding as you proceed through the learning curve (and there will be one!).

So my 2 cents on this.  I've heard a lot of people reviewing modelers saying they just don't sound like an amp in the room.  I think this is going to vary by the person playing.  I've always been a person who never much cared if it was a genuine Marshall JCM800 or a model of one.  I know for a fact if you blindfolded me & played me both, I doubt I could tell the difference or even care.  I'm the same way with wine.  You could give me a $5 bottle of wine & a $50 bottle, and they would taste the same to me (and I would very much enjoy both bottles).  To me, playing through the Pod Go sounds like me playing, for better or for worse.  I can get good clean sounds & good dirty/heavy sounds, and I can through a bunch of cool effects on top.  For my purposes, I don't care if it is exactly like what its modeled on.  But I'm just playing in my house or the occasional gig at the local bar.  Not to say that anyone who can tell the difference is wrong in snubbing a modeler, to each his/her own.  That's the beauty of music.  Express yourself however you like.  In the end, I think if you're unsure, you just need to play through it & see if you like how it sounds & if it will do what you need it to do.  As far as the learning curve, there are some helpful videos out there on the Pod Go & a ton of stuff on the Helix.  Even though the Helix is a different product, a lot of stuff (such as theory, etc) translates to the Pod Go and I've found a lot of Helix videos very helpful.

7 minutes ago, CRM114FGD135 said:

So my 2 cents on this.  I've heard a lot of people reviewing modelers saying they just don't sound like an amp in the room.  I think this is going to vary by the person playing.  I've always been a person who never much cared if it was a genuine Marshall JCM800 or a model of one.  I know for a fact if you blindfolded me & played me both, I doubt I could tell the difference or even care.  I'm the same way with wine.  You could give me a $5 bottle of wine & a $50 bottle, and they would taste the same to me (and I would very much enjoy both bottles).  To me, playing through the Pod Go sounds like me playing, for better or for worse.  I can get good clean sounds & good dirty/heavy sounds, and I can through a bunch of cool effects on top.  For my purposes, I don't care if it is exactly like what its modeled on.  But I'm just playing in my house or the occasional gig at the local bar.  Not to say that anyone who can tell the difference is wrong in snubbing a modeler, to each his/her own.  That's the beauty of music.  Express yourself however you like.  In the end, I think if you're unsure, you just need to play through it & see if you like how it sounds & if it will do what you need it to do.  As far as the learning curve, there are some helpful videos out there on the Pod Go & a ton of stuff on the Helix.  Even though the Helix is a different product, a lot of stuff (such as theory, etc) translates to the Pod Go and I've found a lot of Helix videos very helpful.

From what I've seen most people say is that it sounds more like a "recording" than an actual amp. i genuinely prefer the sound of my guitar when I plug my amp into my computer and record it then listen to it vs the "live" sound anyways. 

Also off topic but I used to work at a winery and the wine comparison made me laugh lol. Trust me when I say this, Price of Wine, a lot of times, DOES NOT represent quality of wine.