Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pre amp into HD500X

TMacca

Hi all, does anyone know if there is a way to connect a pre amp such as the VICTORY V4 SHERIFF to the HD500X using the 4 cable method fx loop? if so does it do the same thing as connecting it to a real amp, does it bypass the pre amp stage and go to the cabs. Thought it might save having to purchase a cab simulator.

Thanks in advance.

T.Mac.

Edited by TMacca
Added reason for post.

When you connect an external preamp to the RETURN input of a real amp, what you do is bypass the amp's preamp to connect the external preamp directly to the power-amp of the amp that drives the cab.

The (real or modeled) power-amp is a component that (like the pre-amp and the cab) also contributes significantly to the final sound.

The 4 cable method with the POD and an external pre-amp (placed in the POD FX LOOP) cannot be done because there is not a power-amp RETURN input to which to connect the 4th cable (coming from the POD output).

feScQ2F.jpg

So what you can do is a 3 cable method: guitar to POD, POD SEND to preamp, preamp OUT to POD RETURN.

In doing so, the only element in the chain that is missing is the power-amp, so basically you have: preamp going directly to cab, with the possibility of adding effects before and after the preamp.

If the preamp is already sufficient to give a complete sound once connected to the cab (modeled in this case), you can do without the power-amp.
Actually there are several POD users who build their patches using pre-amp versions of the available amp models, because for certain sounds they prefer them to the full models.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Hi, thanks very much for that information it's very helpful. 

Just one thing, if I use that 3  cable method I'll still have the Pod pre amp, so there'll be two pre amps, the Pods and the external, I mean there isn't a way of bypassing the Pods pre amp and leaving the cab on, is there ? or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, TMacca said:

Hi, thanks very much for that information it's very helpful. 

Just one thing, if I use that 3  cable method I'll still have the Pod pre amp, so there'll be two pre amps, the Pods and the external, I mean there isn't a way of bypassing the Pods pre amp and leaving the cab on, is there ? or am I missing something?

You're welcome.

Unfortunately with the POD to use its cab modeling you have to activate also an amp or preamp model (I forgot to also consider this important point in my previous post).

In this case I would suggest to choose the most flat response pre-amp available in the POD in order to affect the least possible the tone of your external pre-amp.

Usually the bass pre-amps (a bit similar to PA preamps) are much more flat response than the ones for guitar, so I guess that the one called Flip Top Pre could be a candidate as an almost transparent pre-amp, which you can combine with any of the available cabs for guitar. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Ok thanks again, been a while since I visited the forum but its been very helpful 

Cheers man.

P.s. just as an afterthought, would I have the same problem with a Helix ?

T.Mac.

Edited by TMacca
Added a postscript

1 hour ago, TMacca said:

would I have the same problem with a Helix ?

No, you wouldn't..

All the Helix series products have separate/independent cabs which can also load external impulse responses

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

And for 3x the price with not much of a sound improvement, it better be able to do that kind of stuff. 

Yeah your probably right, I`ve heard a Helix being played in a local GUITAR GUITAR store before the lockdown here, and I`ve you tubed a few comparison videos and I have to say I was`nt that aware of any drastic difference in quality, personally I think all the pods can be tweaked to get a good useable sound.

As far as my question to the forum goes, I think it would be just as easy (and cheaper than the Helix for sure) to get the aforementioned Victory V4 Sheriff and a Two Notes Torpedo cab simulator pedal, gives me a second rig option then.

Once again thanks for chiming in, much appreciated.

T.Mac.

3 hours ago, TMacca said:

I think it would be just as easy (and cheaper than the Helix for sure) to get the aforementioned Victory V4 Sheriff and a Two Notes Torpedo cab simulator pedal

yes, but in the above configuration you wouldn't have the effects, if it matters to you..

wasn't that the reason why you initially thought about integrating a multi-fx modeler with the Victory?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Well not really, I was mainly wanting to connect to the HD500X to use its cab simulation.

I have other external pedals chorus, flanger etc. which if I wanted to use, I would just place before the Victory pedal.

So... it's either

1-Victory to Pod through input, and use a very clean amp.

2-Victory to pod through fx loop and use a very clean amp with the option to put effects before and after the fx loop.

3-Victory to a cab simulator pedal.

4-Buy a Helix.

Don't you just love how today's technology can do your head in !! Ha ha.

Good luck.

Thanks.

T.Mac.

15 hours ago, hurghanico said:

You're welcome.

Unfortunately with the POD to use its cab modeling you have to activate also an amp or preamp model (I forgot to also consider this important point in my previous post).

In this case I would suggest to choose the most flat response pre-amp available in the POD in order to affect the least possible the tone of your external pre-amp.

Usually the bass pre-amps (a bit similar to PA preamps) are much more flat response than the ones for guitar, so I guess that the one called Flip Top Pre could be a candidate as an almost transparent pre-amp, which you can combine with any of the available cabs for guitar. 

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips