Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DAW controller, interface, and monitor query

Hello everyone!

I have what may be considered a newbie recording questions so please bear with me.

I am looking to expand my home studio. Currently I am running Waveform 11 on a MacBook Pro using a Behringer XENEX X1204USB mixer as my audio interface. I route my Mac's audio out to the XENEX which is connected to a QSC power amp pushing a pair of JBL Control 28s. The XENEX only gives me 2 in and 2 out for recording.

What I am wanting to do is get a nice DAW controller with interface capabilities (at least 12 ch in), and (not a deal breaker but would be very, very nice) mechanized faders for total control during mix-down, or a combination of gear that would do the same.

For an all in one scenario I have looked at the Behringer X32 which is a 40-Input, 25-Bus Digital Mixing Console with 32 Programmable Midas Preamps, 25 Motorized Faders, Channel LCD's, 32-Channel Audio Interface, DAW controller, and iPad/iPhone* Remote Control. It's way more than I need and the price is a bit much for what I want to spend. It does look super nice though.

Other devices I've looked at (and more realistically what I can afford):

Zoom (R16, and R24), Tascam (M12 and M16). All have at least 12 inputs and the added ability of recording to an SD.  No motorized faders. Decent price.

For more of a modular set-up, I have considered getting a rack mount USB interface (like the Behringer ADA8200) and DAW controller (like the Behringer X Touch), and continue using the XENEX mixer as my audio out.

So I guess I am looking for input here on what you guys see as being the best scenario. 

Thanx everyone!!!!

Juan

I want the option to record my band as we have a decent rehearsal space to do so. The Behringer X Touch along with the Behringer U-UPHORIA interface would give me all the I/Os I would need.

Not really having any experience with gear such as this so please correct me if I am wrong, but having the touch sensitive mech faders, such as the Behringer X Touch or the Presonus Faderport, would give me automation in/out feedback from my DAW, correct? Without the mech faders, seems I would be zeroing the faders to match my DAW all the time as passive faders only serve as input. Using the mouse for this gets tedious for me. I like that all hands on deck feel, more integrated, natural, without having to go between my controller and DAW to make adjustments in situations where I would employ multiple faders simultaneously as I mix. Picking a fader via mouse one at a time just seems counterproductive. Maybe I'm going backwards, but to me using a DAW without a controller is like driving a car using a touch screen only. I'm just not a whiz at keyboard and mouse shortcuts for any application.  I'd like to have the option of both. Maybe I'm overthinking this way too much! That's why I posted this. I want to make sure I get info from experienced people so I can make the best decision in getting what I need and want. 

I have also looked at the Keith McMillan K-Mix. It's an interface (8x10 I/O), DAW controller, and standalone mixer.  This really looks versatile...it's just kinda weird..no traditional faders. It has what looks like silicone (?) touch tactile strips, knobs, and buttons. Sorta like a 3 dimensional touch screen. It's interesting to be sure, and seems to be able to do everything I need it to do. I can use it on live gigs as well to mix my Stick/basses/flutes onstage into my rig. Added plus.

I appreciate your reply!

whitebg_rightsideforward_02_KMix_72dpi_011216.jpg.59b5477b187c9362a4867ca5b040f268.jpgwhitebg_back_01_KMix_72dpi_900x600_012815-1.jpg.a529fe7a40f5bc27629e8d19cf443d6d.jpg