Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buy another amp, attenuator or Helix

someslash

Hi all,

I'm a new member in this forum. I have a questions, I will divide it with short and long version.

Short version:

I want to have:

1. Tone like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjLzXlaNek ,
  2. I can play it in the night or a day without headphones, turning on my computer, and without worrying about my neighborhood so much.

What kind of amp do I have? Or, if I just need FRFR, do you mind to say the popular brand? (I'm not sure I have plenty choice because of my country)

Long Version:

To give you some context, I have no plan to doing some gig in the near future. Most of the time, I just play and practice in my room. I'd like to play GNR, Mr.Big (only few that easy to play), and some of local artists songs. I was retired amateur guitar player and just want to start over again, for fun, and maybe to record a few of my own songs.

Weeks ago, I purchase a used JCM 900 combo 100W amp, just to realized that it is too loud to play. I'm unable to crank the amp at all without annoying my neighborhood. On the other side, I love to have tone that close to the songs I played as close as I might get. Until this point, I have 3 options in my mind: 

1. Sell my JCM900 and get Marshall Jubilee 2525C 20/5 WATT. I think switch it to 5 WATT to get the tone that I want.
  2. Buy amp attenuator. The problem is, I live in a country where there's little options of attenuator to choose. Beside, looking at the price point, buying a good attenuator will have almost the same cost as if I ....
  3. Buy a Line 6 Stomp, or Helix LT, and sell my JCM900. Note that I'm pretty happy with this tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjLzXlaNek

So, as you might guess, unless someone have a better idea, I will take point 3. Now here's comes my questions: 

1. If I sell my JCM900, (I know that this is asked several times, but..) What is a good enough amp as a replacement to use with Helix? My primary concern are:
    • It should easy to use (I don't want turn on my computer): Turn the amp, turn Helix, play song from my phone into bluetooth speaker, and play along.
    • It will mimic the tone character close enough to the amp that I want to simulate.
    • It will be Ok to play in the night without need any headphones.
  2. To saving some money, I plan to buy Helix Stomp instead of Helix LT. As crazy as it sound, will I regret to not purchasing an LT in the first place? Is it better to just grab Helix LT, or buy Stomp and get some external wah pedal later when I really need it? Or it possible but there's a lot of effort that it just better to get an LT in the first place?

I know that generally the answers is would like ".... it is depends on you". But, if you don't mind I'm happy to hear some suggestions.

Thanks for reading, and for the answers.

If you aren't looking for "top of the line" and you have no intentions of gigging - which probably also means your recording is "for fun" and not for professionally mastered albums that are needed to be sold to support your drug habit... 

Then, why not spend $500 (or $200 for a used one) on an HD500x. 

You get all the bells and whistles, without all the bells and whistles. Meaning, it is the top of the line, but of yesterday. You get more of the important stuff than you do with with lesser Helix models, but don't get the latest upgrades like touch screen. 

*and it has an 3.5mm jack specifically for audio players. no need to bother with blue tooth or separate speakers. 

Either way, whatever model you buy, that's up to you. 

As to the amplification - 

L6 does make an amp for modelers. But, given your current volume limitations, I don't see you really using it or any thing else we typically suggest. 

So, the new suggestion would be to find a way to be able to patch it into your home stereo. Or, even though you don't want to, use your computer - which could be just the speakers if they are self powered.    

.. in addition to what has been already said you might be interested also in one of the Yamaha (still Line6 under the hood) THR series all in one solution modeling amps (speakers included) perfect also for low volume playing and else, very easy to use.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 2 weeks later...