Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New HD500X owner needs help!

Chris2901

Hi all,

I’ve recently upgraded from a Korg FX pedal to the 500x and was hoping for some advice!

For some reason the POD edit software crashes my PC randomly, seen a couple of threads about this so is the 500x better through an amp or headphones/speakers?

Also noticed the USB connection doesn’t play back through the PC speakers is this normal?

I’ll have to contemplate buying a setup to go with it if I can’t find a solution in the interim! 

4 hours ago, Chris2901 said:

I’ve recently upgraded from a Korg FX pedal to the 500x and was hoping for some advice!

smart

For some reason the POD edit software crashes my PC randoml

any number of issues could be involved. not enough info was given. 

but remember (or realize, if you didn't know it to begin with), you are talking about edit software. it is not performance software. use it to edit, then close it. 

is the 500x better through an amp or headphones/speakers?

the point of modeling is to not need an amp. in fact, an amp can dampen the entire point of having modeling in the first place. 

that doesn't mean you can't use an amp. 

Also noticed the USB connection doesn’t play back through the PC speakers is this normal?

you can change the settings so that it goes in that direction. 

I’ll have to contemplate buying a setup to go with it if I can’t find a solution in the interim! 

can't go wrong with a system designed for it

Hi Pianoguy,

So I get the BSOD when I start playing the guitar thus the PC crashes and reboots itself. So I should close the program when I’m done editing when I want to play?

How can I setup the USB so it plays out from there? That would negate needing to buy an amp

Cheers for the answers 

5 hours ago, Chris2901 said:

How can I setup the USB so it plays out from there?

If the PC speakers are separate or detachable best thing to do is to connect them to the POD outputs or headphone output.

If instead the PC speakers are not separate or detachable much probably they can play only the sound coming from the PC integrated audio interface, which means that in order to hear also the POD sound through them, the POD outputs (usually the USB digital signal is not selectable as an input by the integrated AI) or headphones output must be connected to the audio input of the PC and activated through the PC audio control panel/mixer.

I would strongly suggest the first much effective and simpler solution, so you can record and playback everything through the USB by using the POD as audio interface (much better than any PC integrated AI) which finally converts digital back to analog, and connect any speakers/monitors/headphones directly to it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

you read more into that than i did 

and, honestly, i didn't think his usage was that advanced yet

I may have read more than the the OP meant, but his following sentence seems rather unambiguous to me:

21 hours ago, Chris2901 said:

the USB connection doesn’t play back through the PC speakers is this normal?

My interpretation of the above sentence (but it could be wrong) and reasoning:

What is connected to the USB? ..........The POD........
Where are the PC speakers connected? .........presumably to the PC (probably built in)........
Can they play the sound from the POD / USB? .........Impossible......... it is "normal behavior"......

It is not an advanced concept, but a trivial mistake that newbies sometimes do

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Cheers all, found out that an Nvidia driver plus pod edit kills the PC. Closing Nvidia sorts that problem out! 

Ive got a crappy bass practice amp as a output now, plugging into the CD input slot from the POD phones output to get going. Doing a lot of learning with tones although some downloaded presets sound rubbish but I put that down to not having a proper output.

So monitors over amp? 

4 hours ago, hurghanico said:

And I took it to be the simplest thing - the computer comes out of the pod, not the pod out of the computer.

so switch it around. 

I wasn't figuring that he was talking about a daw at this point of "I just bought the unit"

27 minutes ago, Chris2901 said:

Ive got a crappy bass practice amp as a output now

So monitors over amp? 

not all bass amps are created equal. 

I have a Peavey KB/A 100. Which happens to be very good for this type of unit. I can't say that I would use, as example, a 1966 Ampeg B15 NF. 
Of course, I have other options that are better. But, it works when I need it to. 

If I was buying something, I would do it right. I wouldn't get something that qualifies as "it works when I need it to". 

So, yes, I would say to go for monitors over amps.