Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Organizing Presets

mguit

I'm evaluating the Helix and a couple other all-in-ones and have a few questions about organizing presets. I owned a helix for a couple weeks two years ago and returned because I couldn't figure out how to keep things organized in a way that met my needs, despite loving so much about it. Maybe that's changed and/or I could do things a different way. 

1st: Is it possible to set up Snapshots in a preset where some (or even all) effect blocks can ONLY be toggled on and off, but with their parameter values always matching in that preset regardless of which Snapshot your on? So if I crank the tone up in a Timmy effect model in the first snapshot, I don't have to go the other 7 snapshots and made that change 7 times over just to keep them matching. 

A real world example of this. I'm at a gig and I've already set upt the Helix the day before so that all of my song-specific presets have a Timmy model with it's parameters tweaked the same way, and I have set up all 8 Snapshots in each preset in so that I can go through the 8 snapshots for each section of the song with only the on off status of the Timmy being changed and a bunch of other changes to other effect blocks beside the Timmy. I decide this evening that my tone seems a little shrill and what to lower the Timmy's tone parameter. Obviously, like all multi-effects, the weakness is that I must go to each song preset and make the same adjustment or copy/paste/save/save in each of my song-specific presets so that they'll match for those songs. Now lets say I've set up a bunch of Snapshots in each of those song presets. And the only thing that currently is different about the Timmy in each of the Snapshots is its on and off status. So now (if the helix cannot lock parameter changes between Snapshots) Not only do I have to edit each preset to make my Timmy match my other songs' presets, but I have to go to each and every snapshot and make that change for ever Snapshot within the preset. So in other words, if I want to tweak my Timmy for the evening and I'm doing a 10-song set and utilize all 8 snapshots, I would have to make the same Edit 80 times! Of course then I need to remember that those 80 edits won't match my Timmy setting for all the other presets I didn't use that evening.   

2nd: Is it possible to select and copy an entire signal path with the effect blocks on it, say 2b and go into another preset and paste that whole signal path into another preset. Yes I know you can just create a copy of the original preset, but there are situations in which it would be very convenient to move things together as a group into presets that I've already set up with something else.   

19 minutes ago, mguit said:

1st: Is it possible to set up Snapshots in a preset where some (or even all) effect blocks can ONLY be toggled on and off, but with their parameter values always matching in that preset regardless of which Snapshot your on? So if I crank the tone up in a Timmy effect model in the first snapshot, I don't have to go the other 7 snapshots and made that change 7 times over just to keep them matching. 

That's even the default behaviour. Parameter changes are only performed in snapshots in case you explicitely tell the Helix to do so (by activating parameter snapshot control in HX Edit or by pressing a rotary and turning it). Otherwise, only the bypass status will be controlled by snapshots (and you can deactivate that as well, so whatever block you can think of works patch-wide, including the on/off status).

21 minutes ago, mguit said:

2nd: Is it possible to select and copy an entire signal path with the effect blocks on it,

No. Would be quite great, though.

Thank for your help. Good to know. So I guess you can always mess with parameters in Snapshot one and know they apply to the others as well. Now let's say you did purposefully or unpurposefully turn a parameter in Snapshot 3. Is there a way to unprogram it and get it to go back to matching Snapshot 1? I imagine you'd be able to.  

7 minutes ago, mguit said:

...Now let's say you did purposefully or unpurposefully turn a parameter in Snapshot 3. Is there a way to unprogram it and get it to go back to matching Snapshot 1? I imagine you'd be able to.  

Menu -> Contoller Assign: Set Controller of the relevant Parameter to None.

12 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

Menu -> Contoller Assign: Set Controller of the relevant Parameter to None.

Or, also on unit, hold the bypass button and press the rotary. Easiest way to remove a controller assignment.

In HX Edit: Alt-Click the parameter (on macOS, might be another modifier for Windows).