Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + Scarlett + Speakers

Hi,

I recently got an HX stomp, awesome piece of metal - I'm happy with the choice. So far it is connected as an interface to my mac (via USB to the computer and outputs TRS - XLR to my Yamaha HS-7) I see no problem practicing bass like this.

When I don't practice, I listen to music on monitors and I find it inconvinient to start it everyday just for listening music, so I'm considering adding a scarlett solo in between.

1. Is this a bad setup?

2. Do I loose anything fancy that HX stomp does when it comes to recording?

3. Is there going to be any latency or risks?

R489DYW.jpg

Explain:

Focusrite Scarlett -> Yamaha HS7 as interface to Mac (listening music layer)

HX Stomp L/Mono outout TRS -> XLR into mic scarlett solo (playing bass layer + recording)

This way I hope to to not turn on the HX stomp everytime, besides the volume knob on scarlett is much cooler :)

IMHO you would be better off adding a mixer. If you already have the Scarlett then you would just route both the HX and Scarlett to your mixer. If you do not already have the Scarlett then you could run the Mac line out to the mixer. 

You would not losing any recording capabilities of the HX, but you would be introducing an extra AD/DA conversion which would increase the latency. If the latency is perceptible it would be challenging to record properly.    

Thanks for the reply @Triryche. I should've mentioned, I have the Focusrite Scarlett Solo already (and I don't own a mixer). I'm asking this because I don't have an extra cable so I can't test the setup myself and I was hoping someone else ran into issues and save me from spending 20€ on cable :)

I might find an instrument cable, would it work from L/Mono on HX Stomp to intrument input on Scarlett Solo? Am I risking anything?

Honestly until you get a mixer you better off just using the Stomp is likely the best approach

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks a lot :)

Also there should be no "warm up" needed.

I'll edit my first post to avoid confusion. What I meant was, it feels strange to power the stomp only for the purpose of listening music (especially since I noticed it gets a bit hot)