Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting to a mixer

Tiggermc1

A noob question here. I just purchased a HX Stomp.

The Cheat Sheet and manual say that TRS to XLR cables must be used for connecting to a mixing desk. My understanding of a TRS is a stereo Jack plug. I have many of mono Jack to XLR cables. Would these not work? If so, what are the benefits of using one or the other? I want to connect to the mixer in stereo.

your advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Jim

TRS can be used for unbalanced stereo connections, but it’s also a common way to connect balanced mono connections. A typical microphone cable is a balanced cable, and at the XLR you have positive, negative and ground. A TRS jack is just another way to make these connections.

• Like 1

Tigger, 

A 1/4 TRS to XLR cable is always mono (balanced).  This is essential to reduce signal noise picked up on long runs of cable to the FOH.  If you wire up a normal 1/4 cable to an XLR, it won't have one of the sides and will pick up noise.

It's a bit confusing at first because folks often associate TRS with a stereo connection.    The stomp uses 1/4 TRS because of the small footprint of the box.

Best to get the correct cable(s) so you can use it in all situations.

• Like 1