Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Toneport Ux8—no Power/seemingly Missing Part—can Other Owners Help W/ Photos Etc?

db0451

Hi all,

I just received a UX8 I bought on eBay as spares or repair because it does not power on. According to the prior owner, this was due to a vaguely defined “short on the motherboardâ€, which an (unaffiliated with Line 6) engineer could not diagnose, so the decision was made to give up and sell it. Fair enough: it would be quite a bargain in almost any condition.

I opened it up to have a look (which was easy due to all but 3 of the screws having been discarded during the aforementioned attempt at repair), and found that, not far from the power input, there were:

• a burnt/scorched area on the paper wrapping around the induction coil/SMD named L6 and/or L9 (both labels are next to it and don’t seem to refer to any other part),
  • what might be burning and/or partial lifting out at the through-holes of diode D5,
  • possibly the same effects at capacitor C120, and
  • —get this—what seems to be an entirely missing part, of some type, perhaps a MOSFET or vreg or similar: a section labelled U57 U37 with one side bearing five pins that seem to have residual solder on them, a square that seems to have some kind of adhesive or heat-sink paste from a previously emplaced component, and yet no component to be seen!

I’m no expert detective, but this all suggests to me that component U57 U37 has been overloaded and exploded, damaged the others in the process, flown clean off the board, and—via a less-than-careful previous handler, I can only assume—somehow disappeared never to be seen again.

I have requested more information from the previous owner and engineer, but, given that they claim not to have noticed this obvious blast-radius, I’m not holding my breath for any revelation. When I buy things as broken, I expect them to be broken but not entire parts to be missing. If they genuinely didn’t know, I’m unsure how the trail of evidence can have been overlooked.

I have opened a ticket with Line 6 to request a schematic or some other form of assistance. However, I wonder whether any other owners of a UX8 would be kind enough to open their UX8 up and describe what they see in the equivalent area, preferably with a good-resolution photo? It would be massively appreciated. Seeing what that area looks like in a functioning machine will hugely improve the chance of me being able to repair this one.

I’m especially keen to find out what component U57 U37 is supposed to be—type, value, and any other information I would need to replace it.

Thanks in advance, fellow UX8 owners!

[edit] fixing cmpt # [/edit]

Thanks for trying, but I already exhausted my options on Google, of course ;) Yes, there are some photos of the UX1 and/or 2, but I cannot see any 5-pin IC-type component on those, which figures as they use external transformers/PSUs and my problem is with the UX8’s internal one. I couldn’t find any internal photos of the UX8 or anything about a schematic other than Line 6 insisting that only service centres should have them.

looking forward to hearing from some UX8 owners :)

I don’t like having to bump things, but I’d really appreciate if another owner of a TonePort UX8 sees this and has time just to unscrew the top of their unit and take a photo of this area near the PSU, or at least describe the part number and value(s) of the 5-pin transistor or whatever other component is supposed to be at U57 U37.

I’ll PayPal the winner money for drinks and/or a hearty dinner :P

[edit] fixing cmpt # [/edit]

• 3 months later...

Hi db0451, my line6 ux8 has a problem too, which I am trying to debug. The schematic of the main board would be very useful. Did you get any success from line6 support? The 5 leads IC you are looking for is the top234yn of power integration, but in my pcb is just labelled u57, maybe it's an older pcb. I took a picture, if you tell me how to post it. Regards.

• 1 year later...

Hi, i had same problem with our line6 toneport UX8 rack recently, We've been  using this unit for about 4-5 years in our studio with no issue.. About 4 days ago it happen once when i turned it on seems no power, and i tried to pull back the power cable (thinking it was just loose) at the back of the unit and it works, but then after few days it happen again and at this point i don't get any luck in powering up back again. I ope nhe top cover and it seems no sing of any burnt or smell or what so ever. If happen you resold this issue i would i appreciate if you can buzz any clue..

However i can give you photos incase you still need it since Im  sill eager to open the unit itself to have more closer look inside and see if had any further suspecios sign of burn that might trigger the cause.

Thank you..

Hi, i had same problem with our line6 toneport UX8 rack recently, We've been  using this unit for about 4-5 years in our studio with no issue.. About 4 days ago it happen once when i turned it on seems no power, and i tried to pull back the power cable (thinking it was just loose) at the back of the unit and it works, but then after few days it happen again and at this point i don't get any luck in powering up back again. I ope nhe top cover and it seems no sing of any burnt or smell or what so ever. If happen you resold this issue i would i appreciate if you can buzz any clue..

However i can give you photos incase you still need it since Im  sill eager to open the unit itself to have more closer look inside and see if had any further suspecios sign of burn that might trigger the cause.

Thank you..

• 3 months later...

Hey DB if you need info on what should be in those spots where parts are missing then let me know. I've got my ux8 open right now. I also have an issue with mine, problem is as follows-

So I tried to use a DI box which was powered and at the same time phantom power was on. It fried something which I think I've found.

On the bottom of the mother board is (I'm assuming) a sot 23 transistor with 3 legs. It's number is D26 and it's clearly apart of the phantom power circuit.

As is now half gone, there are no numbers on top although they confuse the shiz outta me anyway.

If anyone can tell me what it is that'd be sweet. Like I don't know if it's pnp or npn and ratings. I'm cluey with electronics but only in a hobby type of way. Schematics would be better but I'm not giving my hopes up