Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using external pedal for reverb? CPU limitations

jasonb5232

Wanted to see how many people are using external effects with the Pod Go.  Reverbs appear to the most CPU intensive, thinking of going with an external reverb pedal to then free up space for other blocks.  It's a block I have on all my presets, so it seemed to make the most sense. 

I know 'how to' do it, just wondering if people have been happy with the results.  Really trying to get get around CPU without buying a Helix.  Other ideas?

Why would they not be happy with the results?  It's 100% how the PGO is intended to be used.  The only drawback would be that you're not taking advantage of the PGO's reverbs, which are likely 'better' than your reverb pedals, as for instance the Ganimede, Plateau, Glitz, etc., reverbs are somewhat comparable to Strymon big sky ($479), blue sky (#299),  $399 eventide h9  and others very expensive pedals. 

So if you have some of those pedals, by all means use them lol  but for us poor chaps who went for the Go for its affordability, most of us won't have those kinds of pedals.  But yeah if you're using just a Spring or Plate reverb or whatever, absolutely nothing wrong with using outboard reverb pedals, other than it won't be outputted to USB, etc.  Or even then, use the FX Loop, add the loop at the end of your chain, and you can get your reverb pedal out to USB! 

I have some cheap Nano reverb with spring/room/well reverbs but haven't touched it since getting the Go.  I'm just having too much fun with the Go's reverbs.  :D   They all seem to have a sort of particular niche of what they like or don't like...  Still experimenting and trying to wrap my head around them, but having fun in the process! 

And yeah, unless you're using live, you can always just create more patches.  I've found that when you're using heavy reverbs, your 'tone' becomes less important as the reverb takes more place in the soundscape; so any small tweak to your original tone is much less audible, so I guess there's like two cases; one where the reverb is the main focus; then the other effects becomes less important and the higher cost reverbs are necessary, or, when the reverb is more of a 'add-on' to an existing tone; then you don't need the big reverbs and can use less expensive reverbs without too much cost to your overall tone, since the reverb will have a more minor effect on the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eob_t8Rg_ao

Absolutely - use an external fx if it will release DSP for you. It also means easier quicker setting via knobs on the fly.

But for me, I just wanted a single unit and don't want to have to carry around another pedal and leads to have to connect up.