Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spark amp vs Spider V

Pacemaker1000

Currently have both (V60), and to me the Spider is in a different league. Obviously it’s size and power is greater and it sounds like a proper amp compared to a desktop speaker but even the tones are better. To give the Spark a chance I even played it through the V60 speakers and leave the Spider on full range, but even then it has inferior tones.

I thought the Spark would benefit from its cloud available song specific tones but even then I can always find something better. This was main reason to buy and its disappointing. The smart features are app specific and there are better apps available for playback and learning.

The only reason I can see to keep is the hope that PG will continue to support and improve it. Plus it’s better at playing backing tracks than the Spider.

Given the hype ( unlike the spider i can’t find a negative review on it) it’s very disappointing!

I wish I could agree with you. I have the Spider V 120, been using it for over 2 years. I know it's not a desk top amp, but there are so many ways line 6 could improve on this concept and they don't. The first and most important feature is Bluetooth, where is it? The fact that you have to run the Spider Remote app with a wire doesn't make it remote. Compatibility use with both Windows and Android make the app impossible to use for more than 10 minutes on a good day. there have been many communication back and forth between Line 6 support with out a resolution. Second firm ware updates where are they? they were quick to release the G10 relay update which in affect turned my relay into a dust collecting paper weight. If I get an hour out of a full charge I'm lucky.  Good thing it came with my amp, because if I paid the MRSP I would request for my money back. I've seem many reviews of the Spark and the comparison videos too. Yes the Spark has a few new features that I don't have because the V 120 is not a desktop amp, but Line 6 dropped the ball on this line by not including Bluetooth. 

• Like 1

Have to say I have only used with iOS. Tbh having previously owned a Fender GT40 with Bluetooth dropouts, I’m more than happy to have a wired connection. Also the amp charges the iPad which would have to be plugged into a wall socket anyway, so I consider it a bonus not a negative. Also unlike Spark you can go completely wireless as you have a screen to scroll through patches plus built in wireless guitar. Also there’s a foot switch. I do agree about the G10 and wish I’d never ‘upgraded' it and got reduced playing time!

considering the bigger and more powerful V60 is actually  cheaper the spark, even with constant discounts, it also overpriced imho 

• 4 weeks later...

I have both as well.

Spark and the Spider V60 and an old Shortboard 

The Spark is all about convenience and the Jamming stuff and apps and quick play . 

The Spider is painful because of no bluetooth but it has great tones and the shortboard pedal makes it great to use 

I can still stream stuff through the laptop and play along (using the usb)

Its got a looper

It takes a wireless G10 but your right. the battery life is terrible 

I

Spider is still better 

It just sounds better 

Through headphones and speaker........

Edited by jethro68
updated usb cable info

• 3 months later...

The Spark competes more with Amplifi than with the Spider V.  The Amplifi --just like any Bluetooth device-- has the same issues with Bluetooth connectivity that the Spark has.  I also prefer the wired (no latency) connection of the Spider V for Spider Remote.  I think most of the G10T users have no issues with it.  I charge mine every two weeks and I practice --at least-- 30 minutes per day.  And the FBV3 footswitch makes using the Spider V so much fun.

There's plenty of youtube videos with blind tests in which people cannot tell the difference between a Spider V amp and a much more epensive piece of gear.  And once mixed or play live, people cannot tell the difference.

There are a few a few things things that makes the Spider stand out over the Spark. But if I had to pick just one, it is that, if at some point in the future, both Line 6 and Positive Grid discontinue their apps, and those versions no longer run on what will then be the latest phones, you’ll still be able to use the Spider to its fullest whereas the Spark has a heavy reliance on the app. 

• Like 1