Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with delay tone!

CourtlandAdams

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time gear addict here.

I’ve been trying to recreate a delay tone for a while, but can’t get it right. Essentially, it’s two delays running in parallel at different rates, with a line selector between the two. The delay in question is used here https://youtu.be/dQnCMfZqZhg .
It’s a custom pedal that Russell uses here, pretty sure it’s two DD3s all smashed together with a line selector, but when I try to recreate this (no matter what gear I use), I can’t get clear repeats from the faster delay. It always ends up sounding like a reverb, rather than a fast delay. Anyone got any idea how I can try to get clean, but fast, repeats using my Helix? Cheers!

Saw the following quoted comment below the video the OP posted, borne out by the interview in kduck's post.  "I just figured it out, its two boss dl3 pedasl joined in some "twin pedal" he uses them on the hold function."  If that is correct you may need to incorporate that hold functionality along with the dual delay to get his sound.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. Helix 3.1 actually made this possible in the end. The Euclidean Delay gives that really nice sampled effect and I’ve edited the tempo, steps and fill to give a continuous stream of the note, created two at the different tempos and assigned them to the same footswitch to go between them. I’ve also done the same for the chorus delays, owing to the longer repeats in the chorus and put these on a different signal path with a Y switcher, as well as adding mute switches both before and after paths A & B, with the Y switch and mutes all assigned to one footswitch to ensure a clean cut-off. Thanks for your help!

83F778D4-CFA0-4189-99E6-877DE4314B6D.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CourtlandAdams said:

Thanks guys. Helix 3.1 actually made this possible in the end. The Euclidean Delay gives that really nice sampled effect and I’ve edited the tempo, steps and fill to give a continuous stream of the note, created two at the different tempos and assigned them to the same footswitch to go between them. I’ve also done the same for the chorus delays, owing to the longer repeats in the chorus and put these on a different signal path with a Y switcher, as well as adding mute switches both before and after paths A & B, with the Y switch and mutes all assigned to one footswitch to ensure a clean cut-off. Thanks for your help!

@CourtlandAdams This sounds mighty interesting. I have been experimenting with a similar goal in mind but haven’t been very successful. Would you be willing to share the preset?

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, smalltweed said:

@CourtlandAdams This sounds mighty interesting. I have been experimenting with a similar goal in mind but haven’t been very successful. Would you be willing to share the preset?

So sorry, only just seen this! I don't have the preset anymore, as later Helix updates made it redundant, but if you'd like I can share my new one?

Line 6 released the Ratchet pedal as part of a later update and, given it works exactly like Russell Lissack's (Bloc Party) delay pedal and that Bloc Party have a song called Ratchet, I'd say it's likely Line 6 knew what they were doing, either that or bizarre coincidence! The Ratchet pedal gives the constant stream of notes with infinite repeats, thus removing the requirement to specify the number of repeats which I found to be quite cumbersome when using the Euclidean delay that was on the first preset I made. Here's a quick clip of it in use (for a cover of Bloc Party's Rough Justice). If, a year and a bit later, you still want something like this and haven't already put together a preset of your own, let me know and I'll upload it!