Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

112 Plus Clipping in DAW when signal in yellow

bsimmons106

I'm having a tough time getting my output levels right with my 112 Plus.  I'm using it with my Helix LT with my band, and I also send the XLR outs to our mixer to 'mic' my amp for recording practices, FOH, etc.  I really like this setup.  I noticed some clipping when playing back one of our practices so I decided to plug the XLR out into my DAW and see what output I was getting, and I noticed I was getting a lot of clipping.  I have my gain all the way down on my audio interface, and my signal on my powercab is still in yellow, yet I'm still clipping in my DAW.  What am I doing wrong?

That is correct. My thought was that PC+ was at line level and pushed that on your interface with mic level, but it wasn't the csse. Have just tied to use the out from PC+ once and it worked. Almost shure I used line level in both ends.

19 hours ago, bsimmons106 said:

What am I doing wrong?

You probably aren't doing anything wrong.  I posted about a related issue with USB, and regardless of the debate that came out of it, some levels coming in to the PowerCab, it is impossible to both get the recommended "yellow light" and not overload the USB output.  This was clearly the case comparing XLR to USB where USB was much hotter.  In my reading about other people's issues, this appears to be the case that XLR too can overload (as you are seeing).

I view this as a design flaw, with a solution being that Line6 should add some controls to independently set the volume of the XLR/USB outputs.  Of course this has to be before they overload!

I would head over to IdeaScale.  I added an item there, and I think there are many others too, this one I think specifically relates to your issue.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Level-control-AFTER-the-virtual-microfon-for-XLR-Out-FOH/961037-23508#idea-tab-comments