Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cool rig video for Rebecca Lovell - and a question

loonsailor

There's a very interesting Rhett Shull video about building a new HXFX based rig for Rebecca Lovell of Larkin Poe.  The rig includes a couple of different drives, an MXR octave fuzz, and a couple of Strymon boxes.  Personally, I'm currently using my HXFX into my amp as my entire rig.  I've used a few other drives, but I'm happy enough with the drives in HXFX that I don't usually bother with separate pedals.  But this is very personal, and I get why she want the drive pedals that she wants.  I get why the Iridium is there.  Although I'm not familiar with the Deco, it seems like its tape saturation function is something that the HXFX doesn't have, though there's plenty of delays to get the slap effect.  The Sub Machine, though, is something that seems kind of superfluous.  Is it sufficiently better / different than the octave fuzzes built into the HXFX to make it necessary?  

What pedals are you adding to the HXFX to get something that it doesn't give you?  How many of you, like me, have simplified life by using nothing but an HXFX (or a Helix) into an amp or direct to FRFR / FOH?

Tone is in the fingers, man.  I have come to a realization a long time ago, that I can dial in my "signature" tone with any amplifier: Vox, Fender, Marshall; using any basic distortion pedal (not Octavio).  Helix has everything you'd ever need.  It takes some time to conjure familiar sounds out of it, using workarounds, hacks or running multiple things instead of one.  With very few exceptions, it has an ability to replace 99 percent of guitar rigs.  I also think it's silly to use pedals with a processor -- it's meant to replace everything. 

• 7 months later...

I have an MXR Sub Machine. Set right, it's a really great and very distinctive sound. I've not found a way to come close to it on the Helix. 

If anyone has a good recipe to achieve a tone very similar to the Sub Machine, I'd be very interested to hear your approach.

- martin