Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone Control Shuts Down JTV Variax Modeling

If I rotate the tone pot to max (brightest) on any model - modeling turns off (there is a slight click and the LED on the model selector knob goes dark).  Likewise, I can’t start modeling by pushing in the model selector (or do so from my helix) if the variax tone pot is on full.  Magnetic pickups are unaffected and work normally.  Behavior is the same whether powered by battery or cord from helix.  I can control the “tone setting” within helix and set it to full within a patch, but if that knob is ever physically turned to maximum the variax shuts down.   I have updated firmware (flash) using line6 monkey to current level release.  Anyone know what is at fault here?

• psarkissian changed the title to Tone Control Shuts Down JTV Variax Modeling

Thank you so much psarkissian for your reply!   Yes, this is a jtv-69s.  The helix firmware is also up to date but this seems to be a variax specific issue.   Meaning, variax modeling crashes while on battery power and disconnected from the helix when the tone knob is turned up to 10.  I haven’t ever broken a string on this guitar - it is seldom used.  Magnetic pickup mode works great as well but something bad is happening when the tone pot hits full (10) in model mode.  Thank you!

Hi psarkissian - thank you for continuing to think about this!   No, the volume and tone knobs are not loose.  They feel solid and operate normally until the tone pot is in the wide open position then modeling shuts down.  Using just the magnetic pickups it is operating like a normal tone pot.  Thanks again.