Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound Bleeding Through When Guitar Volume Pot. On 0

StephenSLR

I've started to set up a patch, so far an EQ, Compressor, Distortion (Heavy Dist) and Parametric EQ in that order, all are on channel A with no amps selected yet as I'm going into my live amp head and quad.

Input 1 is set to 'Guitar'. Input 2 set to 'Variax'.

On the mixer, channel A is set to centre < 0% > and channel B is muted.

When I turn the volume knob on my guitar down to 0, I can hear sound coming through the amp when I pluck the strings, it outputs a clean tone minus all the distortion.

On the other patches I've downloaded from Customtone there is no bleed through but I want to learn to build patches from scratch so I learn what's going on rather than customising other patches.

What could be causing the sound to still ring through when the volume is supposedly switched off?

s

Jackson Kelly with a Bill Lawrence 500 XL pick up, it's a hot pick up but the sound doesn't bleed through on other patches.

Also have put in a CTS vol. pot., 500k if my memory serves me correctly.

s

i don't really have an answer for you except that some how a signal must be leaking from your guitar. if there is no signal, it can't be amplified, do you have another guitar with active pups?

if you installed the pot, check the wiring

Edited by toneman2121

Don't put all fx in front of channel A/B, not necessary to use them. It only makes sense when you use to inputs e.g. aux/guitar, mic/guitar or if you use channel a as distortion, channel b as clean. Then you put an panner in front of the both channes or after the mixer block, so you can pan between both fx paths. Still there are some other ways to use channel a/b. be aware, that input 1 goes to channel a and input 2 to channel b as long as no mono fx is set before the channels or inut1+2 aren't set to the same input or "same"!

you haven't yet explained how you muted one channel, but I guess you did something wrong.

i don't really have an answer for you except that some how a signal must be leaking from your guitar. if there is no signal, it can't be amplified, do you have another guitar with active pups?

if you installed the pot, check the wiring

Wiring is good and from my other patches there is no sound bleed, my guess is that when a vol. pot. is at 0 it's not 100% off.  The patch I have is somehow picking up a very minute signal and amplifying it.  The other patches I've downloaded and factory patches aren't as sensitive for some reason.

You haven't yet explained how you muted one channel, but I guess you did something wrong.

Each channel is stereo, a mono effect will turn your stereo signal into mono and that doesn't matter to me as I'm going mono into one live amp for use on stage.

I'm following Meambobbo's advice from his website.

Use Channel A Only for Single-Amp Patches

The easiest way to design your patches if you are not using dual amps is to place everything in Channel A (the top line after the signal path split). Then you mute Channel B in the mixer and pan Channel A to centre. 

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide

s

This has nothing to do with the Pod HD. Your volume pot on the guitar is not working properly. The reason you only notice it on one patch is probably because that patch has more pre-gain (most likely from the compressor) than others, which brings it out more in the post stage. Think about it, if you think your guitar's volume pot is truly at zero when you turn it all the way down, how could the Pod possibly pick any signal up?

if you think your guitar's volume pot is truly at zero when you turn it all the way down, how could the Pod possibly pick any signal up?

I realise the pot. is not truly at zero, that is obvious.

I'm just trying to understand why the patch is so much more sensitive than other patches and how to rectify it.

I may look into gain staging to try to reduce it.

s

Each channel is stereo, a mono effect will turn your stereo signal into mono

That is not quite wright, because putting in an mono fx into a stereo path will mix the stereo sound to mono and will give after the mono block 2 mono signals on the stereo path.

I also read the brilliant manual from meambobbo. But still I think the effort of using only channel A in relation to leave all fx outside channel A/B while using a single amp is not worth the result. When you only plug in one output of the pod your stereo signal will be all mono of this output channel.

But anyhow I think your problem is another. May be you still got a slight guitar output signal and you have pre amped this signal by your path to much, so the slight output will be heard. If no input no output!

2 mono signals on the stereo path.

Cheers for clearing that up, so in other words rather than a L stereo and R stereo signal, both left and right output will have the same mono signal?

At this stage one mono signal is all I require going into one amp on stage.

still I think the effort of using only channel A in relation to leave all fx outside channel A/B while using a single amp is not worth the result.

What I do is split the chain so two amps are visible and move the effects in front of channel A so it looks something like this:

__ FX__FX__Amp A __

__ /                                        Mixer                               

\ ___________Amp B __

Amp B is muted, Amp A is centred in the mix and no amps are selected so they are both blacked out on the screen.

s

As far as I can see you did everything wright but on the other hand you don't need to mix ch A to center if you use output 1  ;)

If there is still a signal on the output, it's because your guitar volume knob is not working correct.

There is a carbon rail on the pot with a sliding contact. One side of the carbon is output, the contact is input, the opposite of the output is ground.

If you turn the slide to output, signal passes through. If you move the slide in direction of the ground you will mix output and ground (zero): signal will get lower.

If you reach ground you have short circuit and no output. IMHO your volume pot doesn't shorten the signal.

Depending on the sensitivity of the input preamp you plugged, in the signal gets lost or will by passed to the next stage. A compressor is boosting low signal an cutting high signal to a defined range of dynamic.

So your patch works.

Just put a Hard Gate in front of your effect chain, so that the low signal doesn't open the gate and everything works fine.

Sorry for my bad English. But it is not easy to describe technical process only by rosty school English  :blink: