Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How long does the update typically take?

hideout

1 hour ago, hideout said:

I’m in the process of updating now and it’s been saying “Initializing Firmware Installation”  for quite a few minutes now. 

I have seen comments across various sites where users have said it may purely be an issue with the servers at the Line 6 end. You could try doing a download to your computer and doing a local install, thus avoiding any net traffic bottlenecks.

I experienced absolutely no complications whatsoever. I launched HX Edit, which noted the update was available, clicked get update, made backup of existing contents of Helix floor. Installed new firmware, did factory reset, rebuilt presets, restored backup, restarted hardware and rebuilt the presets second time. Total process around 40 minutes. One of the fastest, smoothest updates in 6 years. The initial backup of the Helix was probably the fastest I have ever experienced, although a little slower on the restore and the rebuild is never quick.

After doing the update on the hardware, I did the update on Helix Native which was even faster - possibly 10 minutes maximum.

I’m not being snarky, but after 6 years it really is beyond me how many people still have issues with these updates, and then never report back as to how it was resolved.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

I think I found the issue. After having updated HX Edit, I launched it from the icon on the taskbar.  I get the feeling that that icon is still tied to the old version because when I launched it again from the desktop icon everything went fine. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hideout said:

I think I found the issue. After having updated HX Edit, I launched it from the icon on the taskbar.  I get the feeling that that icon is still tied to the old version because when I launched it again from the desktop icon everything went fine. 

Hi,

Not sure if you are using a Mac, but this “harking back” to an older version is something I have mentioned in posts, specifically for Mac users who have an “alias” on their machine.

Hopefully, Line 6 will improve the installation routine to download the required package, then disconnect from the internet and delete the previous HX Edit as part of the process. 

Thanks for the info - Glad you got it fixed.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Not sure if you are using a Mac, but this “harking back” to an older version is something I have mentioned in posts, specifically for Mac users who have an “alias” on their machine.

Hopefully, Line 6 will improve the installation routine to download the required package, then disconnect from the internet and delete the previous HX Edit as part of the process. 

Thanks for the info - Glad you got it fixed.

I wasn't using my Mac for this.  For some reason I'd relegated my MS Surface to editing and updating the Helix. 

• Thanks 1