Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Big Marketing "Miss" of Spider V

01GT

Here is the thing ... The Spider V is so incredibly functional that the Spider V is a lot closer to being a "baby Helix" than it is to being an "improved Spider IV".  The problem with the Spider V is that it carries the reputation with it of its Spider I-IV predecessors -- including the Spider I-IV's goofy/limited effects controls, bad standard on-board presets, and many digital sound limitations.  Spider V is light years of improvement over the previous Spider IV, being FAR more than a simple evolution of the IV's existing features.  As stated previously, the Spider V has more in common with Helix than it does Spider IV.  Because of the that, the big MISS was made by Line 6 marketing for attaching the "Spider" name to it at all, and not instead attaching "Helix/HX" to it.  Spider V was bitten badly by poor pre-conceived notions by the marketplace.  Spider V being such a jump in technology that it would have warranted the new branding along with establishing a fresh start from the bad reputation of Spider I-IV.  With the new "Catalyst", Line 6 seems to be taking aim at Katana, and maybe a new "Spider VI" will be branded within that Catalyst family.  Regardless, I think it is safe to say that we will see no more branding within the "Spider" line as Line 6 wants to separate itself from it.  Regardless of pre-conceived notions or reputation, the Spider V is an AMAZING amp providing ridiculous amounts of functionality, control and TONE.  The reviews for it are also overwelmingly positive.  To me, personally, I think the Spider V outperforms everything in its pricepoint (yes, even Katana) and would be "almost perfect" as is if it just had an effects loop ...

I wholeheartedly agree. I would have kept the Spider name for the 20 and 30 watt versions, and changed the name of the higher powered ones to something else. That said, I really like my Spider V 240. It has a ton of great tones, and with the FBV3 is a fully featured gig/practice rig. Too bad it doesn't get the respect it deserves.