Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Help From Vetta Users - Control Jtv From Vetta Preset?

So, I thought from what I've read (Page 8-11 in Vetta 2 manual) that, using the VDI cable to connect the JTV to the Vetta 2, I can control the settings on my JTV59 from my Vetta amp, but that seems to be only partly true and it doesn't always work.

I want to be able to call up a preset on my Vetta and have it tell my JTV59 what guitar model and tuning to use.  I thought that if I set the JTV the way I want it (guitar model and alternate tuning) and save the current preset on the Vetta, recalling that preset on the Vetta would call up unconditionally  the settings in the JTV.  What I find is 2 things:  1) Before selecting a Vetta preset, the modeling on the JTV has to be turned on (modeling knob has to be lit) for the Vetta to select the guitar model i.e. the Vetta doesn't turn on the guitar modeling if it's off when I select the Vetta preset.  2) The alternate tuning preset is neither turned on nor called up when I recall the Vetta preset.  Even if I have the alternate tuning enabled (knob is lit) the alternate tuning that was set when I saved the Vetta preset is not called up. 

For those Vetta presets I want to control the JTV, I have the preset's Amp/Cab Details page 3 set to the guitar model I want, and I have Control = ON which is the global setting to allow the Vetta to control the JTV.  Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Oh and also, in each Vetta preset's Amp/Cab page 3 details, it says I have a "Variax acoustic" connected to the amp.  Is that normal since my JTV59 is not a Variax acoustic?  Or is that just because Vetta firmware hasn't been updated since the Stone Age?

By the way, I call up Vetta presets with a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal.

UPDATE...........................

Found some answers, though from 2010, in this thread:  http://line6.com/support/message/222400

I guess this is the answer (from seddo1966, Jan 2012):  "you change the model of the JTV you want to store, by using the vetta model knob, not the JTV knob. And the Altered Tuning knob on the JTV59 must be on Model. I 've also found out that i can only store ALTERED TUNINGS on any of the 5 JTV59's Custom 1 and Custom 2 settings. All the Custom 1 and 2 Altered tunings, i've chosen, will save in any vetta patch."

UPDATE 2.......

I tried creating a guitar model that is a 12-string combined with an open E tuning and I couldn't do it.  What ended up happening was I got a 12-string guitar that plays an open E and a normal tuning at the same time.  Talk about dissonance !  Anyone know how to pull that off?

I am not positive because I do not own a vetta amp I have the HD500.  But when that came out the vetta the variax was not capable of alternative tunings for 12 string models that didn't come about until the JTV series came out.  So I am sure they have not updated any features of the Vetta amps since its no longer in production.  I was actually kinda shocked you were able to save tunings cause I didn't think that the old vetta 2 and older variax supported that function but low and behold it does...

I want to be able to call up a preset on my Vetta and have it tell my JTV59 what guitar model and tuning to use.

Check out an HD500 when you get a chance.  The ability to switch between Variax settings is worth the entire price of admission. 

I'm actually surprised that Line 6 doesn't offer a dedicated Variax floor controller.  Seems like an obvious product, doesn't it?

Check out an HD500 when you get a chance.  The ability to switch between Variax settings is worth the entire price of admission. 

Can you be specific about what HD500 / JTV-switching operations are supported that are not supported with the Vetta 2?  As I said in my original post, I can use the Vetta 2 to switch JTV presets, just not 100% the way I want.

Can you be specific about what HD500 / JTV-switching operations are supported that are not supported with the Vetta 2?  As I said in my original post, I can use the Vetta 2 to switch JTV presets, just not 100% the way I want.

I had the impression that the Vetta wasn't supporting alternate tuning presets - but maybe I misread your original post.  The HD500 does support alternate tunings as part of a preset.

I had the impression that the Vetta wasn't supporting alternate tuning presets - but maybe I misread your original post.  The HD500 does support alternate tunings as part of a preset.

The Vetta seems to be able to recall in the JTV alternate tunings OR guitar models but not both (at least not with a 12-string guitar model).  Does the HD500 do both?

The Vetta seems to be able to recall in the JTV alternate tunings OR guitar models but not both (at least not with a 12-string guitar model).  Does the HD500 do both?

I have never tried it specifically with a 12-string, but in general the preset has a section dedicated to alternate tuning.  Download the manual from the web site and have a look.  I'll try the 12-string + tuning preset when I get a chance and get back with the results.

I've already read the manual and online threads.  My observations are from experience.  I think what's going on here is that the 12-string already has an alternate tuning programmed with it which is the octave to the E,A,D and G strings and that's why I cannot PROGRAM an open E tuning on top of it.  I'll try and see, but I'm guessing that normally alternate tunings can be stored (and recalled via Vetta) with guitar models.

I've already read the manual and online threads. My observations are from experience. I think what's going on here is that the 12-string already has an alternate tuning programmed with it which is the octave to the E,A,D and G strings and that's why I cannot PROGRAM an open E tuning on top of it. I'll try and see, but I'm guessing that normally alternate tunings can be stored (and recalled via Vetta) with guitar models.

As promised I tried this with my HD500. No problem at all selecting "Chime":4 (12-string neck pu) + open-E tuning as a preset. It's always annoying when the march of technological advancement leaves a valued piece of gear behind, though, and I'm sure the HD500 will join the club in due time.

You selected Chime-4 or Chime-2 (the 12-string presets), created an open E tuning and put both of them in a preset ?  I'd appreciate step by step instructions on how you did that, presumably with Workbench.  I tried that and no matter what I tried, I'd get either the 12-string in EADGBE tuning, or an open E tuning with 6-string.  I couldn't get both.  The only way I can do it is by manually selecting them on the guitar using both knobs (I created an open E tuning and assigned it to a position on the alternate tuning knob).

You selected Chime-4 or Chime-2 (the 12-string presets), created an open E tuning and put both of them in a preset ?  I'd appreciate step by step instructions on how you did that, presumably with Workbench.

I'm not familiar with the Vetta, but from everything you've mentioned I have the impression its firmware is just not new enough to understand the James Tyler Variax instruments.  From reading posts by others here, I think Workbench has the same limitations.  Both predate the JTV electronics.   That's why I brought up the HD500.  At this point, it's the only way to get external control over the full JTV feature set.  

The steps I went through to select Chime-4 and create an alternate tuning were done from the "System and I/O" submenu of the HD500. 

My apologies if I wasn't clear enough on that point in my posting above!

(update):  I think I know where at least some of the confusion stems from.   The HD500 does not tie the combination of presets to a control on the Variax itself.  Rather, it allows you to associate the presets with a slot on the HD500 where it's footswitch selectable (along with whatever else you want to setup in terms of effects).

If I had to guess, I'd say that the much-promised Workbench HD update will support what you are trying to do.

• Upvote 1