Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using jhs little black box with 4cable method with helix floor

Dominick9666

I love the feel I get from my Marshall DSL100HR with master volume at 10 using JHS little black box through the fx loop (to tame volume to bedroom levels),and into Marshall 1960 4/12 cab. 
I just purchased the helix and want to use the 4 cable method to get the most out of my helix using my current amp/ cab setup. I tried hookup using 4cable method as suggested but get VERY LITTLE volume from my amp even when master and preamp volumes are maxed out (without little black box of course). Is there a way I can use my black box as well as using my helix??? 

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs:

Send/Return 1 = INSTRUMENT

Send/Return 2 = LINE

1/4" Outputs = LINE

Volume Knob Controls = 1/4" (or 1/4"+XLR or MULTI)

Signal flow:

Guitar>Helix Input>Helix FX>Send 1 Block>Helix Send 1>Amp Input>Amp Send>Helix Return 2>Helix FX>Helix L/Mono Out>Amp Return

In the Return Block, set MIX to 100%.

Using a single FX Loop Block works fine if you're simply using FX in the Helix loop, but with an amp I find that it's less noisy using separate Send and Return Blocks.

You don't need the Black Box, it's simply a line level attenuator. The Helix Volume knob should accomplish the same thing.

If you think it does something different, try it in both the FX Loop and between the Helix Out and the Amp Return.

• Upvote 1