Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Mags crackling only when using VDI

Hi All, appreciate any help with this.

I've mainly used my variax for the models and in the past I had almost always used it with the battery, recently I started playing around with connecting it through VDI to my POD HD500X and realized that when I strum the strings somewhat hard I'm getting what seems to be loss of signal for a fraction of a second, followed by the sound finally coming through but crackly then finally settling down and ringing out just fine , it doesn't do it if I strum more gently and the crackling itself seems unaffected by the volume knob, like it'll still have that loss of signal and crackle just at a lower volume, it'll also happen on any position of the pickup selector. This does not happen at all when I connect through 1/4" and battery powered, nor if I switch to the piezos. I tried switching cables for a multitude of CAT5e I had laying around and even purchased an official VDI cable from Line6 but all of them show the same behavior. Anyone got any idea what may be going on?

I tried updating the firmware on both the POD and the Variax but still same issue. Also I get the same issue no matter the POD preset, I even tried running the 1/4" cable through an external amp and I hear the same crackle, so at least the audio part of it doesn't seem related to the POD.