Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dynamics (& Larry Carlton)

nikoniablue

I'd like to build a patch for a DT25 and HD500 combo that really maxes out the responsiveness, so that I can use how hard I play on the guitar to balance a gentle clean tone with quite a full distortion for single lines.  A bit like Larry Carlton does - where his amp is highly responsive to his playing dynamics.  Any suggestions of starting points for amp & other settings?  I'm playing a Gibson Midtown Custom by the way which has Burstbuckers (PAF style humbuckers).  I do have a JTV-59 but it's a bit unreliable.  I'm not really trying to copy Carlton's tone, more wanting to get the most from that technique.  Thanks in advance for your ideas...

My main patch does this for me. I have a HD500, DT25, and a JTV-59P. I believe I started with the AC30 type preamp. I think changed the cabinet and mic on it until I got what I was looking for. For the guitar model, I mainly use the Tele. If I dial back the volume control on the JTV about 15%, I get a really nice clean when I play lightly. The further I dig into it the more natural breakup I get. There are a couple songs in our set that I use this to my advantage, clean and quiet in the verse, a bit more bite in the chorus and full out attack by the end.

I'd be happy to share my patch. I'm at work right now so I don't have access.

Mic choice has no impact when connected via L6 link to a DT amp for future reference. Cabs do, but mic emulation is only enabled in studio/direct mode, so that should help eliminate one variable. I messed with them a lot when I first got my Pod until I was told the same thing.

My main patch does this for me. I have a HD500, DT25, and a JTV-59P. I believe I started with the AC30 type preamp. I think changed the cabinet and mic on it until I got what I was looking for. For the guitar model, I mainly use the Tele. If I dial back the volume control on the JTV about 15%, I get a really nice clean when I play lightly. The further I dig into it the more natural breakup I get. There are a couple songs in our set that I use this to my advantage, clean and quiet in the verse, a bit more bite in the chorus and full out attack by the end.

I'd be happy to share my patch. I'm at work right now so I don't have access.

Definitely start with the AC30 as it is class A and has the most dynamics. I have a tube driver boost in front of it to make sure it breaks up when I play harder.

You could also try switching a marshall plexi or jtm 45 to class A and see how that works out.

Here is the current version of my tone. I guess I switched the preamp about a month ago. I do have the previous AC30 based one as well. Give this a try and remember to dial your volume back about 15-20%.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/275611/

I've assigned a Chorus to 1, a Delay to 2, a tube overdrive to 3, and a swell to 4.

Try the gibson EH-185.  It runs Class A so tends to be responsive.  I run full model sims from my HD500 and adjust the sim drive and master volume to get the right balance between preamp drive and power amp saturation.  Have a play around with the sag control as well.  Goes great with a strat!

Here is the current version of my tone. I guess I switched the preamp about a month ago. I do have the previous AC30 based one as well. Give this a try and remember to dial your volume back about 15-20%.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/275611/

I've assigned a Chorus to 1, a Delay to 2, a tube overdrive to 3, and a swell to 4.

Yeah - tried it and liked it - thank you.  Prefer it with the AC30 TB Pre rather than the J45. I set it to my taste with about 65% drive.  Yummy!

Thanks to Chris also for suggestion of the EH185.  Not as responsive as the Vox but a good sound nevertheless. I don't think its possible to use the sag control with the Pre only settings I like to use with the DT25 unfortunately.

Forgot to mention, the Treadplate is actually very responsive if you keep the volume and gain backed off a bit.

Yeah - tried it and liked it - thank you.  Prefer it with the AC30 TB Pre rather than the J45. I set it to my taste with about 65% drive.  Yummy!

Thanks to Chris also for suggestion of the EH185.  Not as responsive as the Vox but a good sound nevertheless. I don't think its possible to use the sag control with the Pre only settings I like to use with the DT25 unfortunately.

Forgot to mention, the Treadplate is actually very responsive if you keep the volume and gain backed off a bit.

Thanks! I can't remember why I switched away from the AC30. I'll have to try that version again. I really love the breakup in it and when I need the crunch using the Les Paul model with the overdrive activated is just what I need. What is strange is that at our rehearsal volume (which is fairly loud), the level sounds about right when I engage the overdrive (FS3). However, at our last gig when I hit the overdrive it seemed significantly louder. It kinda freaked me out as I felt like I was blowing out the rest of the band.