Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How can I update a Helix Floor offline in 2022?

amor4jc-2

Hey friends,

I have a second Helix Floor mounted in a road case that has been mothballed since the pandemic began. As I am now preparing to begin performing again, I want to update it and install my new patches. Prior to the pandemic, I would download the firmware files, etc in advance and install from my laptop because there's no internet in that location.

Recent updates use HX Edit and the update process seems to happen in real time while connected to the internet. So what is the process for updating a Helix Floor offline in 2022?

On 5/12/2022 at 3:36 AM, amor4jc-2 said:

Hey friends,

I have a second Helix Floor mounted in a road case that has been mothballed since the pandemic began. As I am now preparing to begin performing again, I want to update it and install my new patches. Prior to the pandemic, I would download the firmware files, etc in advance and install from my laptop because there's no internet in that location.

Recent updates use HX Edit and the update process seems to happen in real time while connected to the internet. So what is the process for updating a Helix Floor offline in 2022?

Hi,

The installation process has been updated to make upgrading the firmware easier by using HX Edit to effectively screen the installation process from those more timid of dealing with updates. Although, there are still situations such as yours, where some folks have bad or intermittent access to the internet and WI-FI. In those cases you can still use the Line 6 Updater app to preform the update offline using your laptop as before.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows plus the same routine should be the same for Mac.

Go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-Choose Hardware-" select HELIX then go to  the "-Choose Software-" menu item and select HX EDIT, now select your Windows system or Mac OSX from under the "-Choose OS-" tab, the click “Go”. From the next page you can select the latest version of HX Edit for your HELIX . Then you will also need the latest version of Firmware Flash Memory. Also on this page you should find the latest version of Line 6 Updater - you will need this too.

Download all these items to your laptop and note where they are.

Firstly install the latest version of HX Edit on your laptop, which should install all, or any required drivers. 

Next you will need to connect the USB to your laptop and 2nd Helix, then using HX Edit make a total backup of everything on it. 

Next - quit HX Edit and make sure that nothing else is running which may interfere with the update. Now, launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HELIX and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update. When it finishes, allow your hardware to rebuild the presets which may take a few minutes.

When it completes you need to perform a Factory Reset on your hardware, and re-install the back up that you made as it contains not just presets, but also your Global settings. You may need to restart your Helix again, just to be sure all is well. If all is functional you can launch the new HX Edit, then you can install the new presets and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Recommended reading:

Edited by datacommando
Added link

Thank you so much! Very much in keeping to the process I used before. Downloading the Firmware & L6 Updater separately from the Downloads page was the info I needed.

But I appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed instructions. May your kindness return to you 100 fold!!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2023 at 1:00 PM, morgenshtein said:

I thank you for this detailed article but what does "point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded" mean, what should I choose? can you explain I am new in the system...

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response, and being unclear about my directions regarding the procedure.

If you managed to follow along about downloading the components required for the offline installation, then you should realise that reference to the “Flash Memory” is the actual Firmware “flash memory” file required to perform the update. The file name for this will most likely end with “_bundle.hxf” for example:

“HELIX_Floor_v3.60.0_0xe171dae81_bundle.hxf”

As I mentioned in the earlier post, you should have made a note of where these various component files had been downloaded to on your computer. Then when you launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HELIX and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a local file - specifically the Firmware Flash Memory bundle noted above. While in the Updater Utility, you simply need to navigate to (point it at), and select the firmware bundle which you downloaded previously.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:52 AM, morgenshtein said:

Hi, thank you very much for all these detailed explanations especially for a new user like me and I managed to do all the operations as you explained them "offline" and I am now with the latest version 3.60 thanks to your help!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Good to know that you have managed to update the firmware to 3.6 - enjoy the new features.