Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Program Change Messages - HXFX to HXFX

z3albw1rr

Hello,

I've connected two HXFX in a row, and connected a MIDI cable so that when I change presets on the first, it will change it on the second as well.

I kind of came across what looks like odd behavior - as if one was 0-127 and one was 1-128.

Since both were new and the factory presets were there, I realized they were "one off" - that is, the setup that was Preset 2A on one was actually in 2B on the other (or 1D).

I think what's happening is that I have it in Stomp Mode, but to return to Stomp when a preset is selected.

So what I've noticed is that if I go out to preset mode on the 2nd, it's flashing, as you'd expect.

So I'm not sure if the MIDI PC message is actually selecting 2A on both units, or if it's still on the previous preset waiting to have the button pushed on the 2nd unit?

Or should I just leave it in Stomp mode and assume it's automatically going to happen and stay on the same Preset. I don't need to leave Stomp mode - I just had them both set the same so I could check.

Make sure you're not sending any PC commands from CommandCenter.

Change the numbering on both devices to 000-127.

On HXFX1 Global Settings>MIDI PC TX>MIDI+USB.

Load a MIDI Monitor on your computer and watch what's being sent from HXFX1.

If you select a preset on HXFX1 and the PC# sent is +1, that's wrong.

Call Support and ask why.

It doesn't matter what's happening on HXFX2 when you switch to Preset Mode, UNLESS you want to select a preset on HXFX2 INDEPENDENTLY from HX FX 1.

Selecting a preset on HXFX2 WILL NOT select the same preset on HXFX1.

If you do that, when you select a different preset on HXFX1 it should again be reflected on HXFX2.

Make sure you're not sending any PC commands from CommandCenter.

Yeah, definitely not.

Load a MIDI Monitor on your computer and watch what's being sent from HXFX1.

Good point. I can do that.

I suspect though it's more likely just the mode behavior. I'm going to test it out more fully tomorrow.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, rd2rk said:

t doesn't matter what's happening on HXFX2 when you switch to Preset Mode, UNLESS you want to select a preset on HXFX2 INDEPENDENTLY from HX FX 1.

Selecting a preset on HXFX2 WILL NOT select the same preset on HXFX1.

Right - it's only going one direction!

That was my thinking - I could change it independently on HXFX2 if I wanted to, but always "call it back home" by reselecting the same preset on HXFX1, or have them both move together to the next one.

Thanks. Last night I did change the Mode - and it behaved as expected. I think what happens is when you're in Preset Momentary mode, it will change, but the display looks like it's waiting for input (flashing). I switched it to latching and just stayed in Stomp mode and everything changed as it should. It's better that way anyway because if I'm going to change a Preset individually on the 2nd unit I don't have to use the momentary thing because it would only happen when I have plenty of time to do it.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, z3albw1rr said:

Preset Momentary mode

???????

On 5/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, z3albw1rr said:

I switched it to latching

?????????????????????

It sounds like you're making up terms for stuff.

Where in the manual did you find this?

On 5/25/2022 at 9:49 PM, rd2rk said:

It sounds like you're making up terms for stuff.

Where in the manual did you find this?

You've never heard of Momentary and Latching switches?

Here's one instance:

Selecting FS1-6 displays Knob 1 (Switch Type) on the second page.
Press and turn Knob 1 (Switch Type) to select “Latch[ing]” or
“Moment[ary].”

Page 36 of the HXFX manual.

Momentary is when you press a switch it changes and when you release it it goes back. Latching is when you press it and it stays until you press it a 2nd time.

Maybe I'm using the wrong words for the preset mode, but when you press the mode button and it moves from Stomp mode to Preset mode, there are two options - you can select a preset and it stays in preset mode, or you can select a preset and it returns to Stomp mode. In the latter, the Presets are flashing.

I know what momentary vs latching switches are. I just didn't know that the HX FX modes worked that way.

I just had a look at the HX FX manual and now I see what you're talking about with momentary/latching modes. The HX FX works very differently from either the Helix or the HX Stomp in that respect..

Learn something new every day!