Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding Notes patch field on HX Edit

wriimage

I've used my Helix since this model was 2 years old and before that the HD500. I've always had trouble maintaining the tons of patches I developed. I've used databases, but they're not tied to the data in HX Edit. Something that would be a great asset to me is a small field in HX Edit per patch where I could store player notes, IR info, etc. Has anyone come up with a good system?

I’ve often wanted to do that too. It would be a good suggestion in Ideascale, and it may already be there. 

There is an implementation hurdle. HX Edit does not currently maintain any permanent data store. It won’t operate without a Helix device connected, and on startup it loads all data from the device. After that it simply sends/receives command to/from the device, where all the data is maintained. That means the Notes data will also have to be included on the device itself, which could lead to a memory capacity issue.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, silverhead said:

I’ve often wanted to do that too. It would be a good suggestion in Ideascale, and it may already be there. 

There is an implementation hurdle. HX Edit does not currently maintain any permanent data store. It won’t operate without a Helix device connected, and on startup it loads all data from the device. After that it simply sends/receives command to/from the device, where all the data is maintained. That means the Notes data will also have to be included on the device itself, which could lead to a memory capacity issue.

I've often thought about this and there is one instance in which HX Edit interacts with local storage such as exporting a preset.  That would be a great place to store and retrieve memo data associated with any preset.  Of course that would apply to backups and restore as well.  I guess I should submit that on Ideascale, huh?

On 6/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, DunedinDragon said:

I've often thought about this and there is one instance in which HX Edit interacts with local storage such as exporting a preset.  That would be a great place to store and retrieve memo data associated with any preset.  Of course that would apply to backups and restore as well.  I guess I should submit that on Ideascale, huh?

Yes, search Ideascale to see if this suggestion is already there and add it if not.

Another implementation thought….. suppose HX Edit does use local storage for this info and the info is not stored on the Helix device. Also suppose that you use the device (not HX Edit) to reorder your presets - and even rename them. The next time you run HX Edit, how would it even detect,  much less be programmed to respond appropriately, to the new preset arrangement on the device? It’s easy to imagine the Notes quickly becoming out of sync with the device.

Even if eventually implemented it won’t happen for some time. Meantime, one can develop their own personal method to do this using files on their computer. You might design a database or even use simple text files. In any case, imagine the difficulty of automating whatever manual mechanisms you use to keep the data properly synchronized under the above scenario.