Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression Pedal Control: Anyone have a solution for non linear?

markwesse

Im not expecting this built in but with a lot of software solutions for using a CC range to control an effect, you can use non linear assignment

What I mean is this

Imagine you have a loop playing; after the loop block there is a filter with a frequency that is controlled by an expression pedal and after that, a stereo panning phaser where Im targeting the mix parameter (In this case, both on exp 2). 

During play, you want to sweep the loop down to go to the background which the filter does nicely. When you get to the last eg 80-100% of pedal range, you want the pan/phase mix to kick is so the underlying tone isnt static but swirls. Its important this happens when the loop is mostly low mids so the overlaying play of guitar is not clashing with the loop (of course :-)

Normal solution is eg in ableton or daw solution, the first part of the pan/phaser is set to 0% but there is a ramp from 0-100% that occurs at the last part of the pedal range...is that doable in helix without looping midi out, processing (eg Bome) and feeding back in? This pedal is modulating a number of sources so it cant be isolated.

Cheers

Currently... the only option I am aware of is to find an expression pedal with a LOG taper... or various tapers included as an option. 

The curve of a EXP POT certainly effects how the Helix adjusts it's values. But that's a lot of trial & error, and even more hit & miss. 

There are many feature requests on IDEASCALE for better/more taper options on the Helix. Find them all and vote them up. I know I have over the years.