Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi hold footswitch function

AlbanoDR

I'm programming midi changes trying to emulate the way I switch effects manually, for some effects (i.e. whammy) I hold the footswitch to switch it on/off. Now I'm aware that I could do this using snapshots but is there a way to copy this behaviour using the corresponding cc to the footswitch required? Thanks in advance

Please re-phrase the question:

"I'm programming a ____________ controller to emulate the way I switch effects manually on my _______________."

In that context maybe explain in a little more detail what you're trying to accomplish.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I´m programming a MIDI track on my DAW, to later be used on a device that plays backing tracks (synths, click track, etc.), which has a MIDI out that is connected to my Helix LT.

What I´m trying to acomplish basically is to automate the changes of effects that I´m doing manually using stompbox mode. Using the footswitch midi CC´s I´ve had success in replicating this set up so far, except for the hold footswitch behaviour, so what I´m asking is if there is a way to do this.

For example midi CC50 emulates footswitch 2, if I use a value of 0-63 nothing happens, if I use a value of 64-127 the footswitch is pressed but only for a moment, is there a way to send a midi message that holds the press of the footswitch?

The way I´m using it, either switches on an effect (Pitch Wham, Sustain) or activates a snapshot while the footswitch is pressed. So it seems I should probably be better off programming the actual snapshot and effects changes, thanks for the answer

If I read you right, what you're trying to emulate is a "momentary" action versus a "latched" action on a footswitch under a remotely controlled MIDI action?  If so, that's always been problematic even using external MIDI controllers apparently because it's based on the presence of an actual constant electrical connection on the Helix so it only works through a physical press.

I'm doing the same thing you're doing using a DAW as a Performance Management system, in my case Ableton Live.  I accomplish this by simply making the footswitch which is defined as a normal latched footswitch and send the same CC# from the MIDI out track of my DAW.  The first CC turns it on and the second one turns is off.  Since those commands are sent in sync with the backing track it's very easy to get it timed accurately and turned off and on as if you were using it in a momentary mode.

Here's an example of a part of one of our songs that demonstrates what I'm talking about:
image.thumb.png.ea1d67d25783641b33b51c34ee369bbf.png

The top track is the MIDI track containing the backing Piano notes.  The second track is the main MIDI out track used to control the actions on the Helix.  FS E represents the actual CC command which sends the button press to a specific Helix footswitch.  The first one turns on the harmony effect, and the second one turns off the harmony effect the same as it would be with holding down the momentary footswitch during that part of the song, but it all happens automatically in sync with the playback.

• Upvote 1