Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 + DT25 question

Beacher

Not quite understanding where the Master Volume on the POD HD500 is in the signal path to the DT25 when using the Line 6 Link ? The POD MV doesn't seem to control any variable in the Editor (unless I am missing something). I would then ask where the Unity Gain position is for the POD MV ? My understanding is that the DT25's MV is the master to the power amp section. Nothing controls it except your hand.

For those using this set up (or the POD500X) what position to you generally like to run the POD master Vol at??

It is nice to be able to reach down and squeeze a bit more volume out of the rig without having to go to the Amp's master volume so ... I tend to run the POD's MV at about 1 o'clock and set the amp MV to taste.

Do any of you dime the POD MV and/or do any of you dime the DT25 M.V. and then back things down via the POD?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, Beacher said:

Not quite understanding where the Master Volume on the POD HD500 is in the signal path to the DT25 when using the Line 6 Link ? The POD MV doesn't seem to control any variable in the Editor (unless I am missing something). I would then ask where the Unity Gain position is for the POD MV ? My understanding is that the DT25's MV is the master to the power amp section. Nothing controls it except your hand.

For those using this set up (or the POD500X) what position to you generally like to run the POD master Vol at??

It is nice to be able to reach down and squeeze a bit more volume out of the rig without having to go to the Amp's master volume so ... I tend to run the POD's MV at about 1 o'clock and set the amp MV to taste.

Do any of you dime the POD MV and/or do any of you dime the DT25 M.V. and then back things down via the POD?

Thanks,

I'm the same in that I run the POD MV at 12-1 o'clock and DT to taste, small room and in a condo so never past 11 o'clock on the DT(yes, I know I could use the LVM).

Jd 

• 3 months later...

I did an experiment.

I set up a preset with just a Blackface DBL NRM Preamp (no cab) into the DT25 with the Line 6 Link. All POD controls at 12 o'clock except Channel volume was full. The POD Master Volume was also full. The POD Mixer Volumes were also at "0".

I set Channel "B" on the DT25 exactly the same with Topology 1. As you know, when you mute the Amp Preset on the POD the DT25 will switch to Channel B.

I discovered that the volume level between both channels on the amp were pretty much identical with the POD master at full.

What I am doing live is running the POD Master full, Blackface DBL NRM Pre (the only amp model I use), Drive about 1 o'clock, a bit of tone shaping (not much, but I do turn the Presence off), Channel Volume full. The DT25 Master is at 12 o'clock. IF I need more overall volume on the gig, I do it with both a bit more Drive on the Pre and a bit more Master Volume on the amp. I always run my guitar (active pickups) at about 60% for rhythm and full up for solos so I have some wiggle room there. This setup seems to work very well for my needs. I don't need (or want) to be ear bleeding loud. I manage live with just one preset and all the FX slots full with a variety of things I need. I run 4 cloned preset in one bank so it something goes wrong or weird with the one I using, I can quickly switch to another identical preset.

My only concern with the DT25 at this juncture is the potential "transformer" issue. My understanding is that if that transformer blows the amp is a brick since you can't get a replacement transformer for it. Can anyone clarify that? I'll also post this as a separate thread.