Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Mixer Controller Assignment

zdragonx

I've been using HX stomp for quite a while but new to this forum. Not sure if I can get some help on this controller assignment issue or is there any existing discussion already covered this:

I've been using both [MIDI In signal] and [one footswitch] to on/off a Level block serves as line selector/mute function on one of my output (I got 3 outputs in total hooked up to 3 amps for different effects).

Now I need to add one more block to my chain that already takes up all 8 blocks, so I need to remove the level block and turn to the level control on the Mixer. This is when I realize that, unlike a block, there is no MIDI In in the HX Edit when a control is assigned to the level on Mixer. This means that I need to choose between a footswitch or MIDI signal to control my output, instead of having both options.

This is really essential for me because although I play live with a track and everything is auto controlled via MIDI, but there is always time when I need to manually intervene and mute the output. I can't choose one over another as they are both important for me.

Anybody knows how I can make this work? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

There are many places to control Output Level. If by "Mixer" you are referring to the "Mix Block" where a split rejoins the signal path before the Output Block, and you normally control the level by MIDI at the Mix Block, then assign a FS to the Output Block Level. If I am incorrect, attach a sample preset so I can see what you've got going on.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:03 PM, rd2rk said:

There are many places to control Output Level. If by "Mixer" you are referring to the "Mix Block" where a split rejoins the signal path before the Output Block, and you normally control the level by MIDI at the Mix Block, then assign a FS to the Output Block Level. If I am incorrect, attach a sample preset so I can see what you've got going on.

Thank you for the reply! Didn't realize that the output is also something I can control so definitely gives me ideas!

But I still don't have the solution for my case yet...let me explain my rig a bit more:

I play guitar/bass in a rock duo. On stage I connect the only string instrument to 3 amp cabs each gives me a layer of sound. I got the HX Stomp as one-stop traveling rig because my board is just too heavy & fragile carrying around.

How I replicate my setup on HX Stomp is that, when input comes in, Split Y duplicates signal evenly to 2 completely separate path:

Path A: Split Y ➡️ all sorts of effects ➡️ Send L ➡️ Preamp ➡️ Mixer (Mix Block)

Path B: Split Y ➡️ volume block serves as a Mute ➡️ Mixer (Mix Block)

In the Mixer (Mix Block) I pan the 2 paths to hard left and right so the stereo output jacks can be 2 separate parallel outputs. But doing this I got 3 outputs:

[Output Left] goes to amp 1, is my always-on main sound from Path A.

[Output Right] goes to amp 2, is controlled by Mute in Path B.

[Send L] goes to the amp 3, is controlled by Send L in Path A.

Now I want to get rid of the Mute block in Path B because I want to squeeze in an extra compressor. But I still want to have the ability of controlling Path B/Output Right using both MIDI CC and footswitch. 

The problem of controlling the Output level is that: my signal is panned by the Mix Block, if I mute the output that's going to mute both Output Left and Right, which is rarely the case. I always need to have a separate control to Output Right.

Hope I made myself clear but if not I'll be happy to clarify more. Appreciate again for the time and help!!

Assign the Output Block's PAN parameter to the FS.

Set MAX (LED ON) to LEFT 100.

Set MIN (LED OFF) to CENTER.

When the FS is activated the signal will be panned full left, effectively muting the right amp.

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, rd2rk said:

Assign the Output Block's PAN parameter to the FS.

Set MAX (LED ON) to LEFT 100.

Set MIN (LED OFF) to CENTER.

When the FS is activated the signal will be panned full left, effectively muting the right amp.

This is so clever!

Although not as reliable as FS/MIDI controlling one block which is essentially a manual overwrite, still it is the second best option I can live with.

Thank you sooo much!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 12:18 AM, rd2rk said:

Glad it worked for you but why do you say that it's unreliable compared to Block Bypass?

Sorry for late reply.

I'm not saying it is not as reliable as block bypass. It's that by doing this the footswitch and midi signal are actually controlling 2 different blocks: one for Mixer block and another one for Output. And that is not as handy as both FS/MIDI for one block.

For example if on a set I want to change the routine - midi controlled Mixer block mutes Output Right on a verse as planned, but for this evening I feel like to spice it up and turn it on. Output controlled by footswitch is not going to help me in this case, because Output Right is muted before arrives Output block, so footswitch can't unmuted it.

Essentially what I need is a manual method to override MIDI, but I guess it can't be that perfect to have both an extra block and the same utility...